Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone use a ZAM Pack?

leschirons

Thinking of putting a preamp in my Jazz bass. tried an East yesterday but have now decided on something else. The luthier suggested a ZAM pack to avoid any routing for a battery compartment.

They're about 100 Euros here and would mean no more battery purchases. I could use it with any other active bass or electro acoustic I have already so, just wondered if anyone has one or had tried one.

Thanks

Never tried that... but the John East J-Retro01 preamp is very very good, and it [b]does not require routing[/b] as the battery fits in the control cavity under the preamp.
They are more expensive than that, but well worth it... and you find them second hand relatively often on the FS forum for around £100. Really painless installation, you'll be playing with it in under 10 minutes.

I see how it can be attractive to have a preamp you can use with any bass... but having an external box, cables... to me it defeats the object. I want something unobtrusive I can control from the bass... and the J-Retro is *the* preamp for a Jazz bass, for me. That parametric mid control is extremely useful.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1352643056' post='1865459']
Never tried that... but the John East J-Retro01 preamp is very very good, and it [b]does not require routing[/b] as the battery fits in the control cavity under the preamp.
[/quote]

Actually it depends on the thickness of the body. The Squire VMJ I used to own required me to make the control cavity another 2mm deeper to accommodate a J-Retro and its battery.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352643777' post='1865471']
Actually it depends on the thickness of the body. The Squire VMJ I used to own required me to make the control cavity another 2mm deeper to accommodate a J-Retro and its battery.
[/quote]

That is true. Same on a Westfield Jazz I used to have. But a Fender should be fine... of course I have no clue whether the OP has a Fender.

Okay, I haven't explained myself properly. Sorry for that.

Firstly I do have a Fender Jazz and I want to put a preamp in it. The luthier I use has a secondhand Sadowsky unit which he's sure he can get in. Seems worth a try as I have Sadowsky pickups on the bass. The battery compartment route is something I don't want so he has suggested a ZAM pack which is purely an outboard power supply which powers up the preamp through the lead. It can also be used with any other 9 volt active instrument I have so saves on batteries for two acoustics and the Status. With those, I'd still need to have a (supplied) dummy battery in place though.

Just wanted to know if anyone had used one and if they were reliable etc.