Why become a member? ×

'Bending in' strings

TheRev

I've had quite a few different sets of strings over the past 3 months (mainly thanks to Daf's Innovation trials) and I've noticed, that even though everything I've been using has a synthetic core, there's quite a difference in 'sproinginess' (the tendency of the new string to want to unravel itself when you take it out of the packet) between different sets.

Velvets and innovation rockabillys were low in sproinginess wheras Kolsteins and Innovation Honeys were suprisingly sproingy.

So, I toddled off to the Talkbass DB forums to see what they had to say, as our American DB bretheren seem to have more time on their hands to ponder such things....

I came across a thread where one of the posters described a process where he bends new strings over the ball of his thumb (in all directions and aong the length of the string) to make them more supple.

I tried this on a small section of a spare string and yes, it does make the string more supple and less sproingy.

Do any of you lot do this? Is it common practice? Would this translate into a an easier playing & softer sounding string or would it just muck up a new set of strings?

Just wondering.

By how 'supple' a string is, I'm guessing you mean how stiff it is in resistance to your plucking, and if so then bending the string about isn't likely to change it much. Whilst wires/cables are a bit of a strange one in terms of engineering properties, the stiffness will be determined by the total elastic modulus of the wire, a property that is inherent to the metal and won't be affected by a bit of bending other than if the strands shift around a bit.

As ET said above, just play them to break them in.