Why become a member? ×

Higgie's gear

Higgie

I absolutely LOVE the Nordstrand Pickup. As Rich said, Hifi is quite a good way of describing it, yes. Just really crisp and the clarity is awesome :) It really helped bring my G string back from the dead (couldn't hear it live whatsoever!) If you are going for one in your 5 string, make sure it's the 5.3, as then it has the proper switching options, the 5.2 in mine has a really dubby sound in the middle position as it couldn't be wired up properly without the additional dummy coil in the 5.3. It makes for a really cool sound though so I never bothered changing it out!

And thanks Nick for the comment on my fashion sense...Haha...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hah thanks. Unfortunately I never actually got to gig that setup in it's entirety. Only ever used one cab or the other depending on what kind of gig it was. Glad I got rid of it in the longrun though, I'm in love with my current Aguilar rig!!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='671696' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:08 PM']Nice bass, James! I looked at that one a few times when it was on the stock pages of the Shuker website a while back. Nice score :)

What's it like, then?[/quote]

Its absolutely gorgeous mate. The A string is a little loose in the nut I think, but that's due to the light guage strings that are on it. Once I get some medium or heavys on there it should be fine. I'm very impressed with the Villex pickups and controls. Don't think I've ever heard or played a more versatile passive bass. Through my PJB Bass Buddy with headphones the thing sounds unreal. Crisp but powerful slap tone, meaty fingerstyle, grindy pick tone...the lot. Jaco, Marcus, etc all in a passive bass. It's amazing. Plays alot better than my CIJ did, and has 21 frets which is ideal for me! (always thought it was stupid to only go up to Eb when the bass has an E string). All in all it's a blinding bass, and once I get a Hipshot Detuner for it I can see it taking some gigs off the Stingray!

[quote name='Higgie' post='671669' date='Dec 1 2009, 10:43 PM']Little update from me! Sold on the CIJ Jazz as I just wasn't getting on with it, and had GAS for this!

My new Shuker Jazz.[/quote]

Now that is nice! I've played a couple of Jon's Jazzes, and they are simply stunning - congratulations!

Thanks Simon. I really couldn't be more happy with it. My Dad has played it and absolutely loves it too! He is now thinking of getting one made by Jon! Haha. One of these days I'm sure I'm gonna wake up, with my room looted and a mysterious note from my Dad saying he and my basses have gone :)

Ok I forgot to take the family shot :) But after having this bass for a for a few days now and not having stopped playing it, I can attest that it is one of the greatest feeling and sounding Jazz basses I have ever played. Why Bob wanted to sell it is beyond me!!

[quote name='Higgie' post='676403' date='Dec 7 2009, 04:29 AM']Ok I forgot to take the family shot :) But after having this bass for a for a few days now and not having stopped playing it, I can attest that it is one of the greatest feeling and sounding Jazz basses I have ever played. Why Bob wanted to sell it is beyond me!![/quote]

'Cos I've got another one! I can only play one at a time..................

Really glad you like her! I suppose I'm really more of an active man at heart.

Cheers,

Bob

[quote name='bobpalt' post='676458' date='Dec 7 2009, 09:27 AM']'Cos I've got another one! I can only play one at a time..................

Really glad you like her! I suppose I'm really more of an active man at heart.

Cheers,

Bob[/quote]

I see! Bloody hell, if the one you sent me was the LOSER of the 2, you are one lucky son of a... :)

• 7 years later...

Wow - How things have changed since 2009!

Bergantino AE210 and AE410, and Epifani UL410

My two Darkglass Microtubes 900s (main and backup)

Pedaltrain Nano with the bare essentials

L-R
Sadowsky Metro RV5 P/J, 1st run Musicman Stingray 5 String Fretless "Dargie Delight", Modulus Flea J5, Shuker 5 String Precision

1982 Fender Logo Squier JV Precision (modded to P/J), 1982 Squier by Fender JV Precision with Dimarzio Model P pickup, Shuker 4 String Jazz, Shuker 5 String Jazz