Why become a member? ×

Mark King was awesome.

phsycoandy

To bow to some advertising lingo, is Mark a little like Marmite?

I've kind of grown up on him, certainly my 80s playing was highly influenced by him and Its always been anathema to me that I've been playing longer than him! I think he can be considered a genius in much the same way as Jamerson has been (and as much as I love JJ, I think genius is stretching it a bit). However, I find I can listen to Jamerson longer, or at least that style.

Mark King is not to be underrated, he's certainly suffered from the 'one trick' criticism by people who, perhaps don't know all his playing/writing/singing.

I beg to differ they were sh1te in Birmingham, you couldn't hear or feel the bass at all until the last song Chinese way, the set list was pants, not one bass solo, by his own admission he had that many pedals 'it was like riverdance' WTF? and if I wanted to see a fat bloke playing acoustic guitar I'd have gone to see Ed Sheeran or whatever his name is, not Mark King, put me off Lev 42 for life real disappointment.

[quote name='popoctave' timestamp='1351212576' post='1848887']
I beg to differ they were sh1te in Birmingham, you couldn't hear or feel the bass at all until the last song Chinese way, the set list was pants, not one bass solo, by his own admission he had that many pedals 'it was like riverdance' WTF? and if I wanted to see a fat bloke playing acoustic guitar I'd have gone to see Ed Sheeran or whatever his name is, not Mark King, put me off Lev 42 for life real disappointment.
[/quote]Blimey, they must have two set lists then as we had numerous solos, plus we didn't have Chinese way. caught him on a bad night perhaps, I was quite close and it looked like a TC electronic effects board which he was using. The sound was awesome and they really were buzzing for it :)

[quote name='popoctave' timestamp='1351212576' post='1848887']
[/quote]

Hmmm... I hate to argue for the sake of arguing but there has been at least one bass solo on literally every date on the tour so far, some better than others, some absolutely incredible.
I'm not sure what you want out of their set list but I personally think its a very strong one. Lots of older funk tracks and many I their bigger hits too.
It is the RITF 25 anniversary tour so their is a strong hint in the name of the tour as to what a chunk of the set will be.

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1351408390' post='1850806']

Hmmm... I hate to argue for the sake of arguing but there has been at least one bass solo on literally every date on the tour so far, some better than others, some absolutely incredible.
I'm not sure what you want out of their set list but I personally think its a very strong one. Lots of older funk tracks and many I their bigger hits too.
It is the RITF 25 anniversary tour so their is a strong hint in the name of the tour as to what a chunk of the set will be.
[/quote]
This was sent on my phone, my thumbs are too fat and i'm too lazy to correct the spelling and grammar miscakes.!!

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1351408390' post='1850806']
[/quote]

Granted, the tickets were a birthday present I wouldn't have wasted the money myself.

Saw L42 last night at the Cliff's Pavillion in Westcliff and they were absolutely great. MK was on top form. I saw them maybe 5 or 6 times in the 80s and not again since - I'd say if anything his playing is better now. I think he had become a parody of himself and lost it a bit with all the 'stardom etc' back then. But last night what impressed me most was not just the slap bass, at which he excels, but the fingerstyle playing - totally brilliant. And he still sings well, which you can't say for a lot of folks from 25yrs back.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1351470682' post='1851640']
They were great tonight, start to finish. Sound was good from where I was sitting and PRB has in my opinion breathed some new life into both the band, and the tunes

Mark and the boys.did good tonight :-)
[/quote]
T'was a top gig last night, a great way to end the UK leg.
Mark's daughter showed she had no fear and nerves of steel to be an opening act there too.