Why become a member? ×

Corduroy - Richard Searle- what bass?

miles'tone

Hi all.

Been on a massive Corduroy binge of late absolutley loving those ful-on 60's car chase inspired basslines..
it seems that Richard Searle was using a hollowbody bass back then but does anybody know what kind?
I unfortunately never got the pleasure to see them live... Did you?

Any info on how he got that tone would be awesome.

Cheers.

Really? I was just going off the 'e-type' vid on youtube. Shows him playing a hollowbody but never the headstock (copyright issues maybe). Yeah I know with vids what you see might not be what you're hearing but I'd always felt it sounded like a hollwbody anyway, maybe even short scale.
I used to have a Ric back in the '90s and it never sounded like that (more to do with my playing than the bass I'd say!)

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1350999266' post='1846016']
A great band..! Supported them in Southampton around '95/'96 and he was using a Gibson Les Paul bass at that gig...
[/quote]

Wow that's brilliant! A night to remember I'll bet. What band/style of music were you doing then?

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1350999755' post='1846020']

Could be a 5 string Status with the right EQ....

[/quote]

Not too sure about that one and anyway, a Status 5 string wouldn't half clash with the sideys! :-)

I spoke with a mate earlier who saw them in '97 and he said he was playing a mapleglo Ric that night.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1350999755' post='1846020']
Likewise. Just because it's on the cover doesn't mean that's what's on the record.
Could be a 5 string Status with the right EQ....[/quote]

Whilst it's a fair point in most circumstances we also need to consider what a posey scene it was, where the right look was key. I'd wager he didn't! :)

I was playing in an originals 'acid jazz' style band called Motivation.... Happy days!
Played with Corduroy at a venue called Jollys in Southampton which is sadly no longer there.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1351019172' post='1846333']

Wow that's brilliant! A night to remember I'll bet. What band/style of music were you doing then?
[/quote]

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1351060501' post='1846664']
I was playing in an originals 'acid jazz' style band called Motivation.... Happy days!
Played with Corduroy at a venue called Jollys in Southampton which is sadly no longer there.
[/quote]

Nice one! Always wanted to be in an acid jazzy band - loved that whole time! Twas too early in my musical development back then though. Now would be a different story.
I guess I'll have to wait for the retro 'retro' wave to come around! ;)

Bloody love this band! Assumed it was a 'Ric' but tbh don't know what I've based that on other than the cover art - never played one so not familiar with the sound, just know I can't get there with any bass I've owned regardless of what EQ I set.
For the bass, the first two albums are great but I think my favourite overall is 'Out of Here', beautifully constructed. Glad I'm not the only one who still listens to this band :)

• 2 years later...

Old topic resurrection - I saw them last night at the Brooklyn Bowl (O2), what a great gig! Double header of Filthy Six and Corduroy. But Richard Searle playing a Gibson LP bass with a pick was as funky as you like. First time I have seen them, hopefully not the last.