Why become a member? ×

LMII vs GK700RB-II vs Warwick Profet 5.1

chris_pokkuri

So I was all set on getting the LMII but the more I read about it it seems you either love it or hate it.

I've now started looking at other heads and also like the GK700RB-II and the warwick profet 5.1 seems like it might be good too.

I want around 500w and play alternative/progressive metal along the lines of tool and opeth. The GK seems like it has loads of extra features that the others don't jusst not sure if i'd use them... The warwick is much cheaper than the LMII and GK but is it as good? I don't have the option to try all these out, the nearest guitar store just has a couple of ashdowns and peavey stuff.

Anyway, anyone got any views on these three amps or suggestions for others in the same price bracket (around £500 preferably less)

I've owned the LMK, SA450 and a GK1001RB. I found the GK a little noisy on the top end for my liking ('my liking' - differs from other people's liking), though it cut through better in a live mix than the MB stuff. I've not had a Profet but I did own a Warwick Protube IX (used price about £400/£500) and that beat the others hands down but would have cost considerably more new and was as heavy as f*ck :)

IMO

Littlemark = Great
GK 700/1001RBII = Great
Warwick profet 5.1 = Pants

The GK amps are great, I don't tend to use tonnes of treble- they warm up nicely and are clearer than the LM. The LM is stupidly light, a real plus.

The Warwick profet heads I've played through seem to run out of headroom really quick, and to my ears generally don't sound all that great.

The 700RBII or LM are both great choices although you may prefer one over the other.