Why become a member? ×

Replacement Jazz pickups

Captain Rumble

Thanks guys lots of usefull advice and yes I have already changed the pots and cap the originals were actualy incorrectly wired up as a result had very little Tone control changing pots and cap (yes its an orange drop) improved things a lot , am I correct in thinking that the cap will have most effect on high frequencies and would a paper in oil cap help smooth out (less harsh?) the top end ?

[quote name='Captain Rumble' timestamp='1351008145' post='1846150']
Thanks guys lots of usefull advice and yes I have already changed the pots and cap the originals were actualy incorrectly wired up as a result had very little Tone control changing pots and cap (yes its an orange drop) improved things a lot , am I correct in thinking that the cap will have most effect on high frequencies and would a paper in oil cap help smooth out (less harsh?) the top end ?
[/quote]

I've never used a paper in oil cap, but I think that's kind of the idea. A lot of people who are looking for "that vintage vibe" seem to go for the P.I.O caps, but then I guess that's would would have been in the originals.

What were the original pots/cap, CTS and orange drop or not? (gotta know whether I'm imagining things or not!)

[quote name='Captain Rumble' timestamp='1351009918' post='1846188']
The pots were not identified as CTS and one was noisey so decided to change the lot, the cap was definately not an orange drop or P.I.O and was actualy .1 uf as opposed to .047uf
[/quote]

As I suspected then, glad I'm not cracking up!

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1350933619' post='1845308']

thanks for the info, I've just measured my 2001 MIM and they are different sizes (now happier) got the info below from talkbass which is quite interesting and may be of help to others with MIM Jazz's.

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Yes, seems that the different pickup size change (only) occurred in 2001 (with the same body style). But MOST of those pickups were NOT noise cancelling, just different sizes, that is to say the pups were NOT reverse wound/reverse polarity (RWRP) in relation to each other and still have flat pole pieces. So turning the volumes on both all the way up did NOT cancel hum.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Since 2004/2005, the pickups were not only the appropriate (different) sizes, they have the raised pole pieces under the A and D strings, indicating they are the newer noise cancelling pickups, although not technically reverse wound/reverse polarity (RWRP). Turn both volumes all the way up and they cancel noise AND cause a midrange "scoop" due to frequency cancellation of the mids (called phase cancellation in physics), not due to true electronic hum cancellation--think of it as 2 waves of water coming together, one peaked and one troughed, that cancel each other out. This is due to the distance between the pickups, and not due to RWRP. Technically, he said you can also get this by setting both volumes at identical settings anywhere in the range, but that is almost impossible to do, so just crank 'em up and control the volume with your amp.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]You CAN find Fender Mexican / MIM jazz basses from as far back as 2001 that have the raised poles, but they are hit and miss. As with any assembly plant, different runs on different assembly lines used different stock as it was available. Although what I said above is the "official" Fender line, there were certainly times when the "stock" pickups were unavailable and the "improved" ones used, even as far back as 2001 when they made the initial change to different sizes but not noise cancelling. Then as shipments of the "stock" pickups were available, they'd change back for a bit to use up the old ones, then back again to the new ones. Fender "tech-dude" contends that if most MIM jazz basses from the 2001 era that have the raised poles on different sized pickups are probably after-market replacements (i.e. MIA pickups or Fender Custom 60s, etc.) installed by the owner and later resold. [/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]So, in a nutshell, from 2001-2004, you could have a MIM bass with[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]a) 2 pickups that are the [/font][/color][u]same size [/u][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]with flat poles -- i.e. 2 "neck pickups" in the neck and bridge position with minimal, if any, noise cancellation[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]B) 2 pickups of [/font][/color][u]different size with flat poles [/u][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]-- i.e. standard sized pickups, but [/font][/color][u]not [/u][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]true noise cancelling at full volume (similar to (a))[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]c) 2 pickups of [/font][/color][u]different size with raised poles [/u][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]-- i.e. standard sized pickups that [/font][/color][u]ARE[/u][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] noise cancelling (with mid-range scoop desired by many jazz players) when both volumes turned all the way up.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]As you move away from 2001 towards 2004/2005, you move from (a) to (B) to (c). Mostly (a) to (B) occurred during the 2001 model year as the body routs were made almost immediately. Then by 2004/2005, everyone was made with (c).[/font][/color]
[/quote]

My MIM Jazz is from 2002 and has RWRP pickups of different sizes, with raised A&D pole pieces. I had no idea of the differences when I bought it new, but I did try several different Jazzes and this one was simply head and shoulders above the rest - both in sound and feel. I asked the salesman what the difference was (except the colour!), as they were all MIM Jazz Basses at the same price. His response was 'it's all in how they're set up'.

I knew that older JBs didn't have different sized pickups, but the rest of this is news to me - really good info. I've always consider myself fortunate to have picked the bass I did ten years ago - (it's still my main bass today and won't be parted with!), and now I know at least part of the reason why I liked it.

Another +1 for the Ultra Jazz from DiMarzio. I put a pair in an old 5 string squier and it transformed the sound. f you want to spend even less money and end up with a pair of hot, clean J pups then GFS ones are ace. I've got a pair in my fretless 'bitsa' jazz bass and it sounds incredible. You'll probably have to import them from the states, but even once you take that into account then they're still really good value for money.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-JB-Pro-Jazz-Bass-Style-Alnico-Pickups_p_318.html

currently $60 for a pair, which I think is about £47. No brainer.

[sub][size=3][size=4]So many pickups so little money thanks for your thoughts.[/size][/size][/sub]
[sub][size=3][size=4]interestingly I have just managed to change the tone of my jazz, I noticed the kneck had settledand I was getting some rattle of the fretts (yes I am heavy handed) so I eased the truss rod of but wasnt happy with the result so put it back where it was and adjusted the bridge, adjusted the pickups to mach and then actually pulled the kneck back a bit on the truss rod. Yep happy with that no rattle feels ok, the surprise was the change in tone more bass less and smoother top end in fact the rather vicious cut I set on the amp is no longer required and less roll off on the bass ok I will find out tomorrow night if it still cuts it in a band setting but for now I wonder if I may have solved my problem I just wish I understood how what I have done has had such a big impact on the tone. :huh: :D [/size][/size][/sub]

[quote name='Captain Rumble' timestamp='1351113028' post='1847612']
[sub][size=4]So many pickups so little money[/size][/sub][sub][size=4] [/size][/sub]
[/quote]
This is the downfall.
I need to decide in the next few weeks if I am going to replace the pickups as luckily, my mother-in-law currently lives in the States and is coming over for Xmas, so I can get them delivered to her over there and she could bring them across with her so saving on \delivery and Customs duty.

I should really open up the bass and inspect the wiring and pots to see if there is some improvement that could be made there instead. I'm also getting the odd fret rattle now and then on mine but I think one of the saddle's keeps collapsing and once I adjust the height of it the rattle goes for a few weeks.

John - Does you band do any gigs at the RMA? I'm try to coerce my band to play there as it's cheaper than hiring the Blacksmiths for rehearsal all the time :) and it will be a good experience for them as most have just done their first gig a couple of weeks ago and I want them to get use to it.

Played in the RMA many times unfortunately not in the last 15 years so my experiences are somewhat irelavent. Another idea is come to the Crown in Emsworth on a Thursday evening its an open mike job house band are very good and individuals or whole bands can get up and do 2 or 3 numbers serious back line set up just bring your own axe also a reasonable chance of getting a gig there. Im there every Thursday and always play pubs always packed and the punters are a friendly and apreciative lots of muso's (the nice kind) plus its my birthday tomorrow so im going to have a realy good time :blink: