Why become a member? ×

Warmoth Jazz 5 - swamp ash/zebra wood top. FINISHED!

Dolando

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1364514324' post='2027694']
Im not trying to be a stick in the mud or anything but would the control cover not have been better matched to the wood on the back of the body? the front looks gorgeous but the back looks like a bitsa :unsure: sorry :( ill run and hide now.......

[/quote][quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1364514964' post='2027703']
I like the continuation of the zebrawood theme. Yes, the cover could have been wood to match the back or another type of wood. It beats nasty black plastic. Run and hide! Run and hide!
[/quote]

GRRRRRR.....how dare you! You better find a very dark hiding place because im coming for you! Too much....maybe... ;)

I did think about having swamp ash, but as JimBob said i was going for a continuation of the zebrawood theme. The main reason I went for zebrawood over a swamp ash cover is because the swamp ash cover would match in colour but the grain would be completely different. i thought rather than having something that kinda matches, I went for something that would compliment the entire theme of the bass.

Just definitely didn't want the plastic cover! UGLY things! But yea the top is gorgeous. :D

Edited by Dolando

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='shaneybaby' timestamp='1366311485' post='2050985']
a real smart piece of kit there my friend
[/quote]

Thanks. :)

I've been working on this here and there but on my 3rd layer of Z-poxy now, not put any more pictures up as its not really changed much even though I've spend hours putting it on, sanding it back, putting another layer on etc etc. should be on my last coat now.

I thinkim keeping this natural and not putting a burst on. Can't bring myself to cover up any of that grain.

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1366316554' post='2051091']
Thanks. :)

I've been working on this here and there but on my 3rd layer of Z-poxy now, not put any more pictures up as its not really changed much even though I've spend hours putting it on, sanding it back, putting another layer on etc etc. should be on my last coat now.

I thinkim keeping this natural and not putting a burst on. Can't bring myself to cover up any of that grain.
[/quote]
I agree keep the beauty of the wood there on show. How much did the body cost from warmoth? including shipping?

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the lack of posts on this. I have recently moved house and have been spending lots of my time trying to sort the house out rather than build this beautiful bass, but now the house is getting there its back to it!

I have given up on the Z poxy, it looked great but just decided against it. I also decided not to go for a gloss nitro finish and go with a tru oil matt look instead.

I have stripped it all right back to wood again and I have sanded it up to 400 grit. I'm waiting on some nice wet and dry from stewmac to carry on going up to 800 grit, then its on with the tru oil. :) so when that arrives, ill be back with updates on how that's going.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update!

About 10 coats of tru oil later and it's all done. Got the nordstrand pickup in today, and shielded the control and pickup cavities. Do you need to connect the control cavity and the pickup cavities with a wire or will the pickups connect them all up?

I'm off to play golf for 3 days then I'm camping in the lakes so won't be able to do much in the next week, but here's a quick one pick of where I'm up. This should come together pretty quick now. :)

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1374960840' post='2155353']
Do you need to connect the control cavity and the pickup cavities with a wire or will the pickups connect them all up?
[/quote]

Yep and you need to connect the copper tape to the ground via a wire too :)

It's looking amazing!

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1374965673' post='2155385']

Yep and you need to connect the copper tape to the ground via a wire too :)

It's looking amazing!
[/quote]

Thanks, I know I take a ground to the copper in the control cavity, but not sure how i would connect to the copper in the pickup cavity? Or will the pickups being screwed into the copper connect it all up? Or is it not really going to do much? Oh, and They're both noise cancelling pickups of that changes anything.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Been pretty busy trying to get this together. :)

I've managed to line the cavity with copper foil and get the pickups hooked up and soldered all the electrics. Went to plan really, only got the pickups the wrong way round at first but was an easy fix. I just need a way to hold the battery on its side in the top left corner of the cavity. The only holder like this I can fine seems to be by Warwick, anyone know of any similar that a re a bit easier to get posted?

My only issue is that the ground for the bridge doesn't seem to be drilled properly and the holes have been started at both ends but don't seem to meet in the middle. Anyone had any issues similar to this?

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1375737696' post='2165082']
Been pretty busy trying to get this together. :)

I've managed to line the cavity with copper foil and get the pickups hooked up and soldered all the electrics. Went to plan really, only got the pickups the wrong way round at first but was an easy fix. [b]I just need a way to hold the battery on its side in the top left corner of the cavity.[/b] The only holder like this I can fine seems to be by Warwick, anyone know of any similar that a re a bit easier to get posted?

My only issue is that the ground for the bridge doesn't seem to be drilled properly and the holes have been started at both ends but don't seem to meet in the middle. Anyone had any issues similar to this?
[/quote]

I might have one lying around. Nice and simple spring steel clip that sits the battery on its side. Ill dig it out or let you know where I got it from. :)

A

Edited by apa

These are the ones. Ive used all mine up soz or I would have sent you one.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP3-Spring-Clip-Battery-Holder-4-Pack-/121141816493?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c349d6cad"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP3-Spring-Clip-Battery-Holder-4-Pack-/121141816493?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c349d6cad[/url]

Work perfect and hold the battery like a vice.

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1375817733' post='2166166']
These are the ones. Ive used all mine up soz or I would have sent you one.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PP3-Spring-Clip-Battery-Holder-4-Pack-/121141816493?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item1c349d6cad"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c349d6cad[/url]

Work perfect and hold the battery like a vice.

A
[/quote]

Ah thats cracking! thanks! I'll get it ordered. Cheers. :)

So its all built, and it sounds amazing! Still needs some tweaking to make it play how i want it to, but heres some photos;

[center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/qgxn.jpg/"][/url]

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/wzgc.jpg/"][/url]

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/cui0.jpg/"][/url]

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/lwue.jpg/"][/url][/center]

Thanks to all who helped.

Let me know what you all think. :)