Why become a member? ×

Warmoth Jazz 5 - swamp ash/zebra wood top. FINISHED!

Dolando

Hello,

I recently sold a bass and I have decided to build a warmoth deluxe 5 jazz bass. I'm looking at getting a swamp ash body with a zebra would top. Like the body below (but in a jazz 5 shape obviously). The neck I want is also pictured. I'm going for a music man/jazz pickup combination, probably bartolini with a preamp.

My only concern is that in the warmoth website they say the deluxe jazz 5 scale is 34" and the low B in that scale can be floppy and prone to rattle. Has anyone had any experience of this? I have a streamer stage 2 and I'm pretty sure that's 34" and the B on that sounds ace!

PICS NEAR THE BOTTOM OF THIS FIRST PAGE.

Many thanks,

Adam

Edited by Dolando

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1350677414' post='1842315']
Great thanks for that. I did read that a hard wood neck helps... Like Bubinga. Not sure if that's a load of monkey balls. What's your neck made from?
[/quote]

Maple with a rosewood fingerboard. Whilst that I agree that a 35" neck has a tighter B string, the other strings are also tighter which I do not like.

All my basses are 34" and the B on all of them is fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd give people an update. Sorry it's been slow. I'm very bad at making decisions especially important ones like building a bass.

Anyway I have made 2 purchases. Not a body or a neck I'm afraid, but a nordstrand mm5.4 and a nordstrand pre amp from bass-a-licious (thanks mate) I only got the pickup as nordstrand are currently having supply issues and won't be available in most places till possibly the new year, and bestbassgear had 1 left so I jumped at it. Also, i would like to say that i cant fault nordstrand for customer service, Adrian has been so helpful in options to have, he emailed back within an hour in some cases, big companies loose this personal touch sometimes. I emailed delano and they took a week to reply to a simple price list request.

Back on topic, I am no longer going for the teak/ipe neck as I have had no experience with these so I'm sticking to what I know and going for a Wenge neck with Wenge fingerboard.

I am yet to decide if I go for the MM/Jazz pickup combo, or 2 MM pickups like a G and L and have a series/parallel, and coil splitting switches wired similar to the Warwick corvette $$.

I have attached a couple of photoshop pictures of what I'm going for. Any suggestions on design or mainly what pickup combo you think I should go for, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by Dolando

I've played a couple of basses with the mm on the bridge and I really like it. Mainly played a Warwick FNA Jazzman and a sandberg California TM I think it is and you get a good growl with it at the bridge.

So if I just have it at the bridge, ill have a series/parallel and coil splitting switch for that so I can still get a normal jazz tone, or have 2 MM pickups and have it for both.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a jazz from Warmoth years ago & quality was excellent ... can't advise on pickup choice other than go split coil with HB like you already suggested just to give your self a few more tonal options (I also prefer SC) .. I'm gonna be ordering another Warmoth myself soon but 7 string baritone this time ....good luck with the build :)

Si

ps. I've also dealt with Nordstrand .. great customer service !

Yea, I hear nothing but good things about warmoth. Think I'm going to have a switch that switches between humbucker series, single coil and humbucker parallel. Gives me various options but not too many, I think you can easily over complicate things. No idea on the wiring diagram for the preamp and that kind of switching, cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose.

Thanks

Adam

Just a little update....

All the parts have now been ordered minus a couple of electrical switches. Warmoth parts should be here in a few weeks, can't wait for that. Yesterday I ordered a custom nordstrand NJ5S in 17.5mm bridge spacing for my neck pickup. Aswell asthe pickuo, also on its way are black ultralite tuners, black A style bridge, hipshot knobs and hipshot string retainers, they should be here in about a month, wish it was sooner, but will be worth it.

Its looking like a new year build, but will be posting plenty of pics, so don't you worry about that.

Thanks,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look what came in the post!! Well i went and collected it from the depot! After a bit of a headache with UPS not putting it on the truck!. Its finally here! Still undecided on what finish to go with! Was going to go for a slight brown burst around the edge....might just go clear....decisions decisions...

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/img0005nez.jpg/"][/url] [url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/img9980z.jpg/"][/url]
[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/img9992c.jpg/"][/url] [url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/img0003mg.jpg/"][/url]

Edited by Dolando

I'm a little annoyed, I just checked the neck pickup route and it looks like they have routed for a standard 4 neck pickup size where I asked for a standard 4 bridge pickup size for a 5 string which is the size of the nordstrand NJ5S, which i have custom pickup ordered. I have emailed warmoth, but don't think I'll here anything till after Christmas.

Basically the length of the route should be 95mm long, the one routed measures at 93mm and just won't fit a bridge size pickup cover. The Neck cover i have fits perfectly. I'm pretty gutted! Someone tell me if I have odd size jazz covers.

I have contacted nordstrand and best bass gear and they don't see there would be a problem with having the same pickup but in the 4 string neck size.

I really like the body, so I'm going with that option, it will just have a slightly smaller jazz pickup, might actually look a bit tidier. So I'm happy again. :)