Why become a member? ×

SOLD ***** GMR Soundboard 4 - (3,5 months old, unused) - 350£

solartron

For sale is GMR soundboard 4 - bass was made in june 2012.
(I have photos of not finished bass, which were made by GMR and were send to me - 7 june 2012).
Bass was sent to me 28.06.2012. I have original dpd transport documents given by GMR MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.CO,
so, I can send a photo of dpd transport documents and a tracking number via e-mail to check it on dpd web page ...
The Bass is in as new condition.

I'm the first owner of this bass. The bass is not used and it still lays in an original box. I received this bass from GMR in settlement,
that is the reason why I don't have a bill. The bass was supplied to me with hardware but without pickups and back plate which I had fitted. Also as the bass was sent to me as a settlement, no case was provided.

I received the Bass without pickups.
Now, bass has fine custom polish pickups, with lifetime warranty. This kind of pickups was mounted in GMRs (in Poland) about 3 years ago,
so, I think they are high quality.
I can record a sample, if needed.
All hardware, except pickups, was mounted in GMR. I have all e-mails from founder of GMR (unfortunately in polish) about this bass,
before I become owner of soundboard.

Specification:
Neck - maple
Body - alder
Fretboard - padauk
Top - tiger maple
Pickups - Merlin Pickups - lifetime waranty (I have a bill)
Bridge - I think the same type as in this new bass ;)

[url="http://megsklep.pl/userdata/gfx/e594b3caa216406ba7d590b4fa9ac0e0.jpg"]Photo1[/url]

Headmachine - you have ask the GMR ;)

I can make more high quality photos of the bass, if needed, and send them via e-mail.
Ok, a new price for this three and a half month old, not used bass, but without warranty is 350£ + 60£ (shipping).

Edited by solartron

I asked some questions yesterday by private message and I think you've answered most of them here but there are still some things I'd like to check:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I noticed the back control cavity plate was black (possibly plastic?) - is this original? Just asking as all GMR's I've seen have had matching wooden backplates.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Same question with the hardware? I see it has chrome strap buttons and GMR's have all matching coloured hardware (obviously not a big issue but just seems a bit odd on a brand new bass).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As you say it came without pickups and you fitted these I wondered if the same was true for the hardware & wiring? If so, then this wouldn't have been a finished bass from GMR which might explain why they won't offer a warranty?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Also, I see that the price of the bass has dropped since the previous listing but that the shipping cost has gone up - is this correct?[/font][/color]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1350332687' post='1837533']
I asked some questions yesterday by private message and I think you've answered most of them here but there are still some things I'd like to check:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I noticed the back control cavity plate was black (possibly plastic?) - is this original? Just asking as all GMR's I've seen have had matching wooden backplates.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Same question with the hardware? I see it has chrome strap buttons and GMR's have all matching coloured hardware (obviously not a big issue but just seems a bit odd on a brand new bass).[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As you say it came without pickups and you fitted these I wondered if the same was true for the hardware & wiring? If so, then this wouldn't have been a finished bass from GMR which might explain why they won't offer a warranty?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Also, I see that the price of the bass has dropped since the previous listing but that the shipping cost has gone up - is this correct?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

The backplates is made from wood, painted in black. I repeat it again - the whole bass and hardware, without pickups, was mounted in GMR. I didn't choose the hardware, because I received the bass in settlement instead of cash - as I wrote previously. Hardware was choosen by founder of GMR! I have all e-mail correspondence with GMR. I don't know why GMR withdraws warranty. Now I'm selling this bass without warranty at quite good price.
All components of the bass are new and working fine.
Shipping cost from Poland to UK is 60GBP (300PLN) via GLS - you can check it on GLS webside.

Sorry if I've asked something I shouldn't have - I was just confused as yesterday this was listed as brand new with warranty and now the manufacturer seems to have withdrawn the warranty for a reason they won't specify.

Also, with the pickups not being original and other items not appearing to be standard I thought it was worth checking if any other parts were also non-original and/or had been fitted by someone else. Thanks for clarifying they were fitted by GMR, I'm still not quite sure why some things are different to all the new GMR's I've seen but maybe it's something to do with the settlement deal rather than it being a new purchase. Anyway, at least we know more now.

It also seemed odd that yesterday the shipping was £50 and now it's £60, I realise it's only a tenner difference but with other things seeming to change it seemed sensible to double check. I couldn't cross-check with GLS as they don't seem to have a simple online quoting service. Not to worry though I'm sure there's a good reason the price has gone up, maybe exchange rate stuff.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1350341740' post='1837703']
Sorry if I've asked something I shouldn't have - I was just confused as yesterday this was listed as brand new with warranty and now the manufacturer seems to have withdrawn the warranty for a reason they won't specify.
[/quote]

Molan, you have right to ask me about everything related with this bass ;)

Also, with the pickups not being original and other items not appearing to be standard I thought it was worth checking if any other parts were also non-original and/or had been fitted by someone else. Thanks for clarifying they were fitted by GMR, I'm still not quite sure why some things are different to all the new GMR's I've seen but maybe it's something to do with the settlement deal rather than it being a new purchase. Anyway, at least we know more now.
[/quote]

The bass was made for me as a brand new. Founder of GMR told me that the bass has a full warranty. Now, I feel cheated.

GMR is a small firm that produced basses in Poland for about 20 years. They don't have their own bridges or pickups, so they mount different kinds of hardware. I played maybe thirty GMR basses, and practically each of them had another kind of hardware (combination of bridge, pickups, headmachines and elektronics). For example :

[url="http://www.infomusic.pl/testy/view/28265,gmr_soundboard"]schaller[/url]

[url="http://basoofka.net/node/28139"]warwick[/url]

[url="http://archiwumallegro.pl/gmr_bassforce_v_translucent_green_gitara_basowa-1210395209.html"]ETS[/url]

[url="http://basoofka.net/node/16991"]Merlin Pickups ;)[/url]

[url="http://www.infomusic.pl/artykul/view/21907,gitara_basowa_gmr_bassforce_4_classic"]????[/url]

[url="http://sprzedajemy.pl/sprzedam-gmr-soundboard-5-custom,148775"]ABM[/url]

etc...

In my opinion "GMR hardware specification" is hard to define due to the long presence on polish market.

It also seemed odd that yesterday the shipping was £50 and now it's £60, I realise it's only a tenner difference but with other things seeming to change it seemed sensible to double check. I couldn't cross-check with GLS as they don't seem to have a simple online quoting service. Not to worry though I'm sure there's a good reason the price has gone up, maybe exchange rate stuff.
[/quote]

Here is the link to GLS price-list:

[url="http://www.gls-group.eu/276-I-PORTAL-WEB/content/GLS/PL01/EN/520004_-paket-shop-prices.htm"]http://www.gls-group...shop-prices.htm[/url]

GLS it is probably cheapest spedition firm in Poland.

BigJim
Sorry for my poor english.
I don't understand what it exactly means :D

There seems to have been a lot of confusion regarding this bass. I don't think the language barrier has helped. So I've done a little digging. The bass was supplied to solartron by GMR with the hardware fit to it, but minus the pups and back plate, which solartron had fitted. For some reason GMR didn't fit standard hardware.
And at the end of the day its up to solarton to ask what price he wants for the bass. I have also sent a e mail to GMR but as yet had nothing back.

We decided to close the thread temporarily while we checked a few things out, but I'm happy for now to let it run.

It's a cracking bass for the money

EDIT

I had word back from GMR that this was a one off made for Solartron as settlement of some money that was owed him by one of the owners. So what he's been saying adds up.

Edited by Johngh
clarification

GMR have always been an entirely Polish business, only recently they've moved their international division to Denmark Street.

When I first heard of them they were also the exclusive distributor of Warwick basses in Poland, and at that time all hardware and pickups/electronics in GMR basses was Warwick/MEC (I've owned one of those). Older instruments had all kinds and brands of hardware in them (I've owned one of those too, with Schaller hardware and EMG pickups). Newer ones, after GMR ceased distributing Warwicks, used the whole variety again. I don't know what GMR use as "standard" now, but any non-standard hardware shouldn't be worrying, especially in an instrument made for the Polish market.

As for Solartron - I've been a user on Polish bassists' forums years ago and remember his username, very highly regarded person there. There is a slight chance that I may be mistaking him with someone else, but iirc he's a designer and maker of very high-spec and really innovative electronics. Not dissimilar to what John East is doing here, only with an even less commercial and more tailor-made profile. Something in my head associates him with the Zakrzewski basses (vide Janek Gwizdała's new fretless), but don't quote me on that.

Someone grab it, awesome bargain.

edit: Merlin pickups are also very very good, I know the maker personally, he was a co-founder of the band Vader (for all you metal fans) and has been making pickups for decades. I know people who swapped their Seymour Duncan and Fender CS pickups for these and are very happy.

Edited by such

Thanks mate,
it's true that sometimes I make bass preamps for some polish luthiers and I build non typical electronics for basses and guitars. It's very nice you remember me :D.
I hope we will chat also on polish bass forums. All the best for you @such

b u m p