Why become a member? ×

Disco Inferno

stevie

I'm currently learning this tune that I'm sure a lot of you guys play already.

It is possible to play it at the first position or one string down in the middle of the neck. Both give me wrist ache at the moment (for different reasons). So I'd like to know which position I should be playing it in. The Trammps bassist seems to be playing it in the first position in the video, but that doesn't necessarily mean a lot.

Thoughts?

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1349515244' post='1827191']
That's a great performance. We're doing it in E flat (or C minor). What position on the neck do you play it in?
[/quote]

It's normally in C minor,and I generally play it down in the first 5 frets.I don't play the verse n position because I play
the octaves (and the fifth) between my first and fourth fingers,so I shift a bit between 3 frets. I play the chorus
entirely in first position though.

5 string -Bass intro run down from 11th fret. G string to Eb 6th fret D string. Then into Tina's bands version of the Eb riff, Eb(6).Bb.(8)Eb.(6)Gb.(10)Ab.(6) hammer on to Bb(8). Eb(6) -then - Eb(6).Bb(8)Eb(6).Gb(10)Gb(10).Ab(6) and repeat.
The chorus section is basically a run down on an Ab major scale. but with added skips etc. eg 2xEb semiquavers pinky on the (6) followed by Bb-Dd-Eb quavers.
This only a guide to get your ear in, not expecting to hang myself out to dry here. I have been known to play a few numbers wrong for 20 years. :D

yep 1st position for me.
I've tried it on my 5 up the neck but prefer to play it like the original. It just sounds and feels right
I've found that a lot of bands play play it too fast; it's surprisingly slow on the record.
Keep at it you'll soon build up the stamina

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1349728864' post='1829847']
Thanks for the info. I've decided to stay in the first position after all.

Very nice bass sound you have there, Crez.
[/quote]

Cheers dude.... surprisingly it was a simple recording for the bass..... My Status into Ashdown Superfly with onboard compression. It was all recorded live in the studio, we just plugged into the desk and used cans.