Why become a member? ×

Hand percussion..too late to learn??

Howdy! Ive not been in a band for 2 years now.
However, I have started recording( very basic gband stuff)last year. This is bass, some keyboard splurges, and a couple of apps.

Trouble is , I keep thinking of Korg Wavedrum.
GAS ,)
Then it got me thinking , should I buy a couple of cheaper Tom toms and learn how to play them?

To be honest , I haven't seen any hand percussionists in pub bands, just a drummer.

Then I was thinking, if I got a wavedrum , would it be useless because I can only play bass?

I'd like to learn another instrument (mid life crisis )
But don't wanna waste my time if I can't use it.

Or maybe, I'm best leaving it and carry on recording, improving that as I go along.

What do you think?

I learned to play congas after playing bass for 20 years and I found it improved me as a bass player so I say go for it! Not sure if you're into the music or not, but learning to play Cuban rhythms can be a lot of fun and there are loads of vids on YouTube if you're interested.

I've spent quite a bit of time over the last few years learning percussion, started off in a Samba band, African percussion, Conga all sorts really. I do find with a lot of the hand percussion there is a learning barrier in that to get the ones you do need a bit of technique etc.

I started doing this stuff to make me a better workshop leader but I really enjoy it. THe knock on affect has been my bass playing really improved also just in terms of pulse, beat rhythm, I thought I was good at all that stuff anyway but it has improved(in my ears anyway).

We have both a Korg Wavedrum and Wavedrum mini for workshops. The Wavedrum mini is a much much better bit of kit - but does sound better in the hands of a percussionist.

It might be worth looking at going on one of the [url="http://www.ovm.co.uk"]One Voice Music[/url] weekends (they're very good) or looking for a Samba group or African Drumming circle near you, if you're in Twickenham there will be loads.

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1349187804' post='1822984']
The Wavedrum mini is a much much better bit of kit - but does sound better in the hands of a percussionist.[/quote]

Innersting. Very. Can you say some more about that? What's better about it? Is it only the mini that sounds better in the hands of a percussionist?

best,
bert