Why become a member? ×

Any ORANGE folk on here??

Rick's Fine '52

[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]Does anyone have any more details about these heads. I’m a loyal fender man, and don’t know a great deal about [/color][/font][/size][font="Verdana"][size="3"][color="#000000"][size=3]Orange[/size][/color][/size][/font][size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"] gear. I’ve always loved the look of them, and they are clearly fabulous amps, with a high regard and reputation.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"] [/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]I’ve been tentatively looking for a valve head for a little while, and was likely to get a Marshall Superbass, as the [/color][/font][/size][font="Verdana"][size="3"][color="#000000"][size=3]Orange[/size][/color][/size][/font][size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"] heads are always a bit pricey, when this turned up, completely out of the blue. [/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]The seller said he believed it was a late 80’s reissue of the 70’s Super Bass head. He said it was handmade, hand wired, point to point, in Huddersfield Orange/Matamp factory, and was a very limited run of this model. This model is apparently based on the OR120 (as they all seem to be?), it has modified guts, to specifically suit bass. [/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]It’s a full size head, in virtually mint condition, and sounds absolutely f’ing awesome, I love it. [/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]It was a complete impulse buy, but a 5 mile round trip last night, and it was amongst my flock.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font="Verdana"][color="#000000"]Does anyone have anymore info on this model, as google doesn’t turn up much at all, and if there is a way of checking the date of manufacture, as I’ve read these may have been issued in the early 90’s.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][color="#000000"][font="Verdana"]Anyway, it’s a ridiculous amp, and I now feel I need a nice wheat cloth angled Orange bass cab to go with it! [/font][/color][/size]
[size=3][font=Verdana][color="#000000"]Here’s some pics of an identical head, although not mine, as I haven’t had a chance to take any pics yet.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Verdana][color="#000000"][/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1349178838' post='1822765']
[size=3][font=Verdana][color=#000000]The seller said he believed it was a late 80’s reissue of the 70’s Super Bass head. He said it was handmade, hand wired, point to point, in Huddersfield Orange/Matamp factory, and was a very limited run of this model. This model is apparently based on the OR120 (as they all seem to be?), it has modified guts, to specifically suit bass. [/color][/font][/size][/quote]

Matamp weren't making Orange in the late 80s, they weren't even making musical instrument amps by then, doing disco stuff. No Matamp or Orange were point to point, they were on PCB or sometimes tag or turret board, and currently on a hybrid of the two. This will be a PCB one.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1349181198' post='1822822']
Matamp weren't making Orange in the late 80s, they weren't even making musical instrument amps by then, doing disco stuff. No Matamp or Orange were point to point, they were on PCB or sometimes tag or turret board, and currently on a hybrid of the two. This will be a PCB one.
[/quote]

Thanks for that Mr Foxen, more research confirms, here's the gut's, tidy work;

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1349187078' post='1822970']
Indeed, I was slightly worried after posting, that you were gonna come back and say it was a picture of you, and what was my f'ing problem!! :P
[/quote]

:lol:

I wish I would have thought of that!

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1349189201' post='1823015']
I've had the opportunity to service and play with the guitar version of this head, they sound great, though i'm not sure if i'm a fan of the contour swithc.
[/quote]

What does it do (The contour knob)??

(I don't have a seperate cab yet to play with. I tried it out quickly when i bought it yesterday, but not a full 'play' around).

Thanks, Rick.

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1349203079' post='1823281']
What does it do (The contour knob)??

(I don't have a seperate cab yet to play with. I tried it out quickly when i bought it yesterday, but not a full 'play' around).

Thanks, Rick.
[/quote]

I should imagine the Contour knob will be a pre amp gain, the wiggly icon is the same as the gain knob on the AD200B. Although It may be an EQ shaper, which is the Shape knob on other Oranges.