Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Pesky Recession

baseline9

Back to OP, I think the current state of affairs here and probably to some extent on eBay too is that every seller is trying to wring the last penny out of their sale whilst every potential buyer is looking for an absolute bargain every time. Net result is a very stagnant market.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1349096867' post='1821683']
Just to be a misery and upset everybody...............

If the state of the economy means that we're all more likely to get on with making music with what we have rather than continually seeking to blame our tools and hankering after something 'better' - I think that's no bad thing.
[/quote]

I tend to agree. I'm sure we all like new toys but the fact is that almost any bass and a half decent combo is all that's required to play great music. I'd bet any one of our bass hero's could use our own rigs and deliver a stunning sounding performance. A few years of concentrating on improving ourselves and getting the most out of what we've got might not be such a bad thing.

At the risk of getting a bit too serious, I was surprised to see that [i]The Economist[/i] more-or-less called the bottom of the Recession last Friday, and suggested that things may slo-o-o-owly start to improve over the next year.

I've been a subscriber for 30 years now, and their crystal ball does seem to be rather better than most ...

I've noticed an ever-so perceptible increase of graduate vacancies in my industry - the planning/construction sector. I think things are turning a corner but its like watching a fully laden Panamanian supertanker do a three point turn while laden down with the snagged ships of a Spanish fishing fleet.

God I miss the UK though. I never truly appreciated how intelligent the average English person was until I worked in NZ local authority. Yes there are some stupid people in the UK but whatever examples you can think of, I'm fairly confident I can find better examples in NZ.

Economically though, NZ has been well managed considering how small and vulnerable to overseas markets it is.