Why become a member? ×

80s Jazz Value?

philw

All,

I'm considering taking an early 80s US Fender Jazz (fretted) in a trade. I've not seen the bass yet and all I know at the moment is that it's sunburst/rosewood, never been gigged and in very good condition. So, assuming it is what it says on the tin, can anybody suggest to me roughly what it might be worth?

Thanks
Phil

Edited by philw

Like he said, in the early 80s Fender were in some ways at their lowest ebb. The cost cutting had gone to the extreme to the degree that the new Japanese made Squiers were actually considerably better in quality! There are some gems out there though, as there are from every era. Watch out for the single piece plastic scratchplate/control plate ones, these were produced to a budget, and a low one at that - doesn't make it a bad player though. If its very early, its probably more like a 70s model.
In terms of desirability, I would not put these in the same value range as a early/mid 70s or a 90s model personally, I'm sure there are those who will disagree though.

Turns out it's not 80s at all. Either I misheard or the owner was confused. Anyway, the serial number (N727720) puts it at 97/98 MIA. I've now seen the bass - although its original neck is missing and a fretless Warmouth is fitted (the original neck is I'm assured in the loft somewhere), it looks a nice instrument. It has a couple of small dings in the finish but the hard case still contains all the tags and candy - the plastic bag containing the documentation and wrench is still sealed. Value anybody (assuming the original neck turns up and it's in good condition)?

Phil

Edited by philw