Why become a member? ×

Stingrays

mr zed

A couple of nice looking Stingrays from the same seller......

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ernie-Ball-Music-man-stingray-bass-/271064416276?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f1cb2c014"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1cb2c014[/url]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/pre-Ernie-Ball-Music-man-stingray-bass-1980-/271064426013?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f1cb2e61d"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1cb2e61d[/url]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1348480737' post='1813983']
its basschatter anthorpe and that's my old pre-eb
[/quote]

And guess who has got it now? ;)

I thought I had seen the same name on here as the ebay seller at the time, I have stripped it all down to photograph everything, cleaned it all up, re soldered the earth as it was only hanging on by 2 strands and put it all back together. New strings and set it up just how I like it and its a nice bass, I would date it as '79 not '80 as the newest date I can find is the on the pots of '79 with the neck being '78 hence the early logo. Its not as nice as my '82 to play plus my '82 is mint but for £1200 I cant lose can I? Thanks Anthomp :) Anyone know anymore about the finish? I am guessing it was always black but that it had a new coat of paint a long time ago?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1351343660' post='1850336']
And guess who has got it now? ;)

I thought I had seen the same name on here as the ebay seller at the time, I have stripped it all down to photograph everything, cleaned it all up, re soldered the earth as it was only hanging on by 2 strands and put it all back together. New strings and set it up just how I like it and its a nice bass, I would date it as '79 not '80 as the newest date I can find is the on the pots of '79 with the neck being '78 hence the early logo. Its not as nice as my '82 to play plus my '82 is mint but for £1200 I cant lose can I? Thanks Anthomp :) Anyone know anymore about the finish? I am guessing it was always black but that it had a new coat of paint a long time ago?
[/quote]

Hi Pete

I thought the finish was original but I never stripped it down, so I assume that the cavities show some evidence that leads you to believe that this is not the case?

Either ways enjot your new bass

Well the top coat has a few damaged areas which appear to show maybe 3 layers of paint its hard to tell, there are also a few areas that have bubbled up which might suggest that that newer coat was not prepared fully in those areas. It could be a factory extra top coat to cover a poor first attempt even its hard to say even after stripping it to pieces, the finish itself is certainly not a rattle can effort or anything similar. Did it have all the body dings on it when you had it or have they appeared more recently? I might have the areas repaired or just leave them as battle scars, I even found a red plectrum behind the pick guard which might be yours then :lol: The honey coloured neck and headstock with the worn through area behind the playing area are both really nice and give it that vintage feel that a classic Ray or similar reissue bass just cant recreate. I presume its had a refret and new varnish on the board but its been done well apart from a few stray dribbles of varnish that I have now sanded off. All in all its never going to lose any value and its a pre EB you can use without fear of collecting the odd ding, a 70's pre EB in black with a black guard will always be cooler than a fridge :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1351359319' post='1850538']
Well the top coat has a few damaged areas which appear to show maybe 3 layers of paint its hard to tell, there are also a few areas that have bubbled up which might suggest that that newer coat was not prepared fully in those areas. It could be a factory extra top coat to cover a poor first attempt even its hard to say even after stripping it to pieces, the finish itself is certainly not a rattle can effort or anything similar. Did it have all the body dings on it when you had it or have they appeared more recently? YES I might have the areas repaired or just leave them as battle scars, I even found a red plectrum behind the pick guard which might be yours then :lol: NOT MINE - NOT MY COLOURThe honey coloured neck and headstock with the worn through area behind the playing area are both really nice and give it that vintage feel that a classic Ray or similar reissue bass just cant recreate. I presume its had a refret and new varnish on the board but its been done well apart from a few stray dribbles of varnish that I have now sanded off. NO RE-FRET WHILST I HAD IT All in all its never going to lose any value and its a pre EB you can use without fear of collecting the odd ding, a 70's pre EB in black with a black guard will always be cooler than a fridge :)
[/quote]

C CAPS ABOVE PETE