Why become a member? ×

a string question

Angel

I feel a bit thick for even asking this!

My sons friend has taken up bass and got an Ibanez BTB off of eBay. Somehow he bust the low E string (can't imagine how???). Anyway, he got a cheapo spare from eBay but it was quite a bit too long. He stuck it on anyway and wound on a ton of 'thick' string onto the machinehead rather than the taper, and to cut a long story short, it not only bust the top of the tuning peg, but also the internal gubbins!

So, I'm getting a new machinehead for him, but the string was too long? would I need to order a specific length?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1348355200' post='1812774']
I don't know much about Ibanezes but BTBs are 35" five or six string aren't they?
[/quote]
They made 4 string versions too..I don't think they do anymore though.

I've got a BTB 6 string and I've wound the E string both by trimming it down and the way you describe and
I have never had a problem.It shouldn't break the machinehead. Maybe there was already a problem when
it was bought?

I've never bothered too much whether it's been the taper or thick part that's on the machine & never had any issues. Though TBH mine are both 34" & it's usually just taper with thick just going on on the E. I'd agree with Doddy that it was maybe ready to break anyway, a flaw in the metal or something. The BTB isn't a cheapo so it's maybe just down to bad luck.

Having too much wrap on the post will make tuning unstable; I aim to have one winding go over the string at the post with two, maybe three winds going underneath the string as it wraps around, it creates a good break at the nut, string tension builds & locks against the string.

Everyone finds a way that works for them, but a worthy guide is when you have the new string in the bridge & threaded onto the post at the other end; pull the string hand taught over the 12th fret & aim to get around 14cms between the string & the fingerboard. Put a slight kink in the string at the peg (to show you that correct point in case it slips) & start winding. Sounds a bit of a rigmarole but it works for most, you may have to adjust the "15cm" bit depending on the string gauge, machine post thickness, etc.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348393303' post='1812962'][W]hen you have the new string in the bridge & threaded onto the post at the other end; pull the string hand taught over the 12th fret & aim to get around 14cms between the string & the fingerboard. Put a slight kink in the string at the peg (to show you that correct point in case it slips) & start winding. Sounds a bit of a rigmarole but it works for most, you may have to adjust the "15cm" bit depending on the string gauge, machine post thickness, etc.[/quote]
Sounds like a lot of hassle. For a standard post (Fender design) measure 4" passed the post, bend the string, then clip behind bend. For a mini post measure 3" passed the post, bend, clip.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1348398461' post='1813069']
Sounds like a lot of hassle. For a standard post (Fender design) measure 4" passed the post, bend the string, then clip behind bend. For a mini post measure 3" passed the post, bend, clip.
[/quote]

Know what you mean; I did consider the routine for Fender guitars; for the 6th E trim the string length to the D post, for the A string cut it at the B, etc but not being a Fender bass owner - ever - I wasn't sure what the comparative routine is so I went for something that will fit a 2x2 headstock which the Ibanez is.