Why become a member? ×

Mutant Mics

Bassmonkey

We've been after the LED conversion for Mr Venom's Super 55 ever since we saw Dave Vanian using one in the Lemmy film.

There's plenty of space inside a Super 55 so it shouldn't be too difficult to rig something up either with batteries and a switch or via phantom power. For us the tricky thing will be making it "Venom proof"!

There's actually a tutorial on the web as to how to do it and run it off phantom power. Sadly, it lost me at about the second step. Am certain that there will be people way capable out there just finding them is the problem. If I get any joy I'll let you know. Watched one of your videos via a link from somewhere in here. Bloomin ace. A bit Jim Jones v The Meteors v Goldblade

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1348053289' post='1808503']
There's actually a tutorial on the web as to how to do it and run it off phantom power. Sadly, it lost me at about the second step. Am certain that there will be people way capable out there just finding them is the problem. If I get any joy I'll let you know. Watched one of your videos via a link from somewhere in here. Bloomin ace. A bit Jim Jones v The Meteors v Goldblade
[/quote]

Thank you kindly sir!

If you can post a link to the tutorial that would be much appreciated. I'm just a little concerned that adding anything extra to Mr Venom's Super 55 will just make it more prone to failure. I've already had to replace the wiring between the XLR socket and the capsule, the foam pop-shield, and whole bottom assembly that screws onto the mic stand.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1348141459' post='1809856']
Having worked through the tutorial - it almost seems doable. Looks like the bits should cost C£20 - have created the template. Think I'm gonna have a go....wish me luck folks
[/quote]

Don't forget to post photos as you build!

I may well be following you. (I might have to work out a way of self powering the LEDs since Mr Venom may well be going wireless soon).

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1348141459' post='1809856']
Having worked through the tutorial - it almost seems doable. Looks like the bits should cost C£20 - have created the template. Think I'm gonna have a go....wish me luck folks
[/quote]

Good luck! Are you changing the foam or keeping it the same?

If it goes well my singer might be asking if you can do his for him :lol:

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1348141991' post='1809877']
Good luck! Are you changing the foam or keeping it the same?
[/quote]

Having had to change the foam in Mr Venom's Mic it's not a particularly easy task even with the replacement already cut to the right shape. There was a lot of scraping to remove the remains of the old foam and then some careful manipulation to get the new piece in place without getting it covered in glue. Unless the existing foam is worn and in need of replacement I wouldn't bother. Also while the replacement from Shure was nice and cheap, the postage and handling they charged me wasn't.

OTOH if you have a suitable more more cost effect source of replacement foam in more colours than blue and red I might be interested.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1348142850' post='1809896']
OTOH if you have a suitable more more cost effect source of replacement foam in more colours than blue and red I might be interested.
[/quote]

I did mail this guy about some orange foam (band colours are black and orange, would love to get the mic changed to black aswell) but he never got back to me.

[url="http://micdoctor.artgraham.net/micdoctor_gone.html"]http://micdoctor.artgraham.net/micdoctor_gone.html[/url]

• 9 months later...

Hey Bassmonkey, Chris Here from Mutant Mics.. I see you are trying to get your lights working.. and I can tell you for certain the guy who posted the Schematics of the red and black mic, His design will work the lights but it will mess up the polar pattern and destroy the element over a year or so.. without going into detail and giving away too many secrets to my design.. remember that the coil in this mic has a very strong magnet.. and if you coil wires in series around a piece of metal and add DC current of the phantom power, You will basically make a electronic magnet by itself.. the current going around the mic element in series does just that. It will drain, and throw the polar pattern of the element off and trade electons and eventually drain the magnet or change the polarity.. although it may work for a short time once the element gets some time on it, it will fail like a fuse.. I told the guy who posted it the same thing and he did not listen... but he did add if it causes mic failure its not his fault.. My design is flawless and tested.. yes I charge 55.00 to wire a mic for lights, but I also warranty my stuff.. If you don't believe what I say about the mic.. take a nail and wrap a wire around it.. put 48V battery on it , positive on one side and negative on the other and watch it become a magnet itself.. Put two magnets together in one case and it will throw its pattern off and cause it to fail over time.. Just simple science.. I would hate to see you mess up your mic....

Hi Chris and welcome to Basschat. Thanks for taking the time to contribute to this thread.

However IMO the reason why people are opting to try these alternative methods of illuminating their mics is not so much what you charge, but the fact that seemingly every time I have a look at your website you are either showing long waiting times or not taking orders at all.

I realise that as one person there are limits to how quickly you can fulfil orders, but what appears to be a constant backlog of work is going to be off-putting to potential new customers, so it's hardly surprising that they are going to be looking at alternatives to your service/product.

Just saw this response and yeah, thanks a lot Chris - appreciate the support. Unfortunately i quickly realised this mod was way above my skill level so enlisted a friend who works in micro electronics to help. He ended up being unable to do it either. Would still like it doing if you are able? Welcome to the forum mate. Andy