Why become a member? ×

Love my Stingray but not keen on the 2EQ Preamp

Guest MoJo

I have a 1990 2EQ Stingray and by all accounts, the 2EQ is 'the one to have' but I can't get on with it. I much preferred the 3EQ on my SR5 and the 30th Anniversary Ray I had from Martin for a while. The treble on the 2EQ just seems too brittle to my ears and I can't get a setting where the top end is completely rolled off for those old school tones. At the moment, I've ripped the guts out of it and have it wired passively through volume and tone pots and it sounds great. Is there a 3 band EQ that is similar to the Ernie Ball Stingray one?

I did the same with my old MM. Far too clanky and I ran it with everything off and I used it for a lot of slap at the time.
Eventually, I got Kent Armstrong to make me up a passive pickup with multiple coils taps and it worked pretty well.
I had to sell it with the original 2 band though so make sure you keep all the bits so someone can put it back together, altho the JE pre will
negate that to a degree, I think.
The MM is bought because it has THAT sound, IMO.

If you are thinking about the John East pre there's one for sale here - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187091-john-east-mmsr-3-band-4-knob-pre-amp-for-mm-stingray/"]http://basschat.co.u...or-mm-stingray/[/url]

Edited by ikay

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1347987111' post='1807738']
Only thing that concerns me is the fact that it's based on the very EQ that I've taken out of the bass on account of not liking it :-D
[/quote]

I have a 2002 Stingray, and I didn't really like the preamp. The treble was a bit "clangy" and the bass too unsubtle and boomy. It worked, but it did not inspire me.
I have now the John East preamp and love it to bits.
It is based on the 2EQ, but if feels to me that the treble sounds a bit more tame, and the bass a bit "tighter", and then the midsweep control is just fantastic.

I know, I know, it doesn't make a lot of sense on paper... but the JE really did it for me when I disliked the 2EQ in my Stingray.