Why become a member? ×

Mixing Ashdown MAG and ABM Cabs

Guest gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

Hi I have an Ashdown MAG EVO III 300w Head, and MAG 4 x 10T Deep Cab, I wanted to add an Ashdown ABM EVO III 300 watt 115 cab will this be ok sound wise? is it worth adding an ABM? or should I go for the cheaper MAG 115, thanks for any replies.

We have the same set up at the rehearsal studio.

I prefer to just use the 4x10 mag cab because adding the 15 just muds up the sound.

The best sound I found is use two 15 cabs or two 4x10's.

I'm going to say the usual basschat advice ..... Do not mix cabs and stick to two of the same.

I started off with a MAG Evo II 115 300 combo and liked the sound from the 15 so I bought a 115 Deep cab to get the full power from the amp. While I liked the sound from the 2 x 15s it wasnt doing the job in the band and I think it was missing some mids mainly maybe a bit of top, but I dont like too bright a sound playing blues rock. I grabbed a 210T deep which now fills out the sound much better. The 210 on its own sounds fine but with the 115 it just has a depth that is very nice. Thinking of getting a base on wheels to make moving it all about easier though :rolleyes:

Adding a 210 to a 410 makes quite a bit of difference in the size and depth of the sound, without having to re-eq. So the advantage is use the 410 on its own for rehearsals, use the 410 & 210 for gigs. You have a bigger sound for your gig, with the added bonus of being able to hear yourself that bit better, due to the height of the speakers.

I`ve generally found that 210 & 115 are great together, each seeming to bring to the deal what the other lacks, but with 410 & 115, the 115 seems to get lost somewhat.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347871553' post='1805855']
I`ve generally found that 210 & 115 are great together, each seeming to bring to the deal what the other lacks, but with 410 & 115, the 115 seems to get lost somewhat.
[/quote]

Mmm...I had a MAG115 and a MAG210. I liked them both on their own, but found that with both together the 210 got rather drowned out by the 115.

I considered selling the 210 and going with 2 x 15's. Then I thought I might shift the 115 and get another 210.

In the end, I sold them both and got a Barefaced Compact :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347871553' post='1805855']
Adding a 210 to a 410 makes quite a bit of difference in the size and depth of the sound, without having to re-eq. So the advantage is use the 410 on its own for rehearsals, use the 410 & 210 for gigs. You have a bigger sound for your gig, with the added bonus of being able to hear yourself that bit better, due to the height of the speakers.

[/quote]

I'd go with this... I don't see what a 115 can add to a 410 but I do like the way a 115 can compliment a 210.
I had a very good SWR rig that worked great together like that... but either cab on its own was inadequate IMV.

You'd also need a very big stage for a 410 and 115 together and I'd expect the 115 to start to cause problems soundwise from time to time.

I get very good stage volume with a 550w amp and 2x210...but feel on one or two occasions a 610 would be ideal.
It depends what the engr is prepared to put through his monitors and the amount of mon mixes but 410 and 115 wouldn't be the way I'd go anyway

I've got an ABM 210t combo and added an ABM 115 deep cab thinking it would give me the best outcome. However what I found was the 115 tended to make the sound just a bit muddy no matter what I did. I then found a Mag 210 cab on eBay for a steal and experimented with that. The sound is much better, so much so that I'm thinking I'll sell my 115 deep cab and go the whole hog and get a 410. But in answer to the question, I've encountered no problems having a mag cabinet powered by an ABM.

Guest gazzatriumph

Thanks for all the replys, I have spoken to Ashdown and they advised me that it is ok to mix the MAG and ABM range and that adding a 115 to the 410 will also be ok and that it would add depth, also a working bass player at my local music store told me he uses a 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 set up with no problems. I have bought an ABM 115 evo 3 cab so will post how it performs when I have had the chance to try it out, cheers Gary.

sure, a 115 will work with a 410..but a 410 is a better cab is most cases so using 2x410 will be better than mixing.

Typical 115 3-400w and Looooow.... average-ish 410 would be 600 into nothing special chassis' and a more focused sound,
typically. Adding a second 410 will add masses to the sound.

Sure, 115 plus 410 is tried and tested but the 115 gives you nothing the 410 will not and it is a pretty clumsy way to go..
I am surprised at the bland answers you got from your 2 sources...and would have thought both could have been more
expansive, tbh..

See no issue mixing the MAG and ABM ranges, but I'd echo the last few posts regarding mixing a 410 with a 115. I went from a setup like that (Ampeg Classic series cabs) to an Ampeg 610HLF and found I had a lot more punch and definition (and other words that don't really mean anything tangible ;)) with the tens. My 115 always struggled to keep up with the 410 and I don't think it added anything useful to the tone.

Obviously, if it sounds good to you then all this is irrelevant, trust your ears first!