Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B-HLF 410 vs Hartke Hydrive 4x10 HELP!!!

kevindoudie

I have having a bit of trouble in regards as to what bass cob to get. As none of the music in any reasonable distance heas either im having to go on reviews only for the cabs.

I will be running an Orange Bass Terror 500 head through whatever one I end up buying.

I keep hearing really mixed reviews from either cab and I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with either of them that could help me make a decision.

thanks! :)

This chaps selling a hydrive for £300 which could help keep the cost if you move it on down.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178660-hartke-hydrive-410-cab-l300/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178660-hartke-hydrive-410-cab-l300/[/url]

Alternatively, he's probably a good person to ask :)

I`ve not used the specific Ampeg cab mentioned, but if it sounds like an Ampeg, you`re looking at two very different sounding cabs. The Ampeg (if traditional sounding) will have that warm round sound, bit scooped sounding, thick lower mids and low end, a more traditional sound. The Hartke is very punchy and precise, no "boom" but a solid punch of bass, a far more modern bass sound.

For a good example of them, try out www.thomann.de. They have audio samples of both of these cabs on there.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347462940' post='1801188']
I`ve not used the specific Ampeg cab mentioned, but if it sounds like an Ampeg, you`re looking at two very different sounding cabs. The Ampeg (if traditional sounding) will have that warm round sound, bit scooped sounding, thick lower mids and low end, a more traditional sound. The Hartke is very punchy and precise, no "boom" but a solid punch of bass, a far more modern bass sound.

For a good example of them, try out www.thomann.de. They have audio samples of both of these cabs on there.
[/quote]

Exactly this. I've played the Ampeg cab in question and it's lovely, heavy but a really deep, full, thick sound. A proper trouser flapping cab! The Hartke one I haven't tried, but I did own a 410 Transporter cab, they still have a deep sound but with a bit more of a defined feel to it.

Both very different sound, but still very nice. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either, it's just which you'd prefer.

Dan

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1347449830' post='1800889']
This chaps selling a hydrive for £300 which could help keep the cost if you move it on down.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178660-hartke-hydrive-410-cab-l300/"]http://basschat.co.u...e-410-cab-l300/[/url]

Alternatively, he's probably a good person to ask :)
[/quote]

Thanks!

He has already asked me :)

I have owned both cabs and in my opinion I did find the Hartke to have a more defined/precise sound than the Ampeg, which I thought had quite a boomy and loose bottom end.
This is my modest and honest opinion, not an attempt to sell my cab.

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1347465952' post='1801250']
Thanks!

He has already asked me :)

I have owned both cabs and in my opinion I did find the Hartke to have a more defined/precise sound than the Ampeg, which I thought had quite a boomy and loose bottom end.
This is my modest and honest opinion, not an attempt to sell my cab.
[/quote]
+1 on your opinion of the HLF. It's all about the bottom end with the mids not so much scooped as almost absent altogether.

In terms of "better" the SVT 410HLF should be better than the B 410HLF, as it is a higher range cab from the same maker. Whether or not it is better than the Hartke Hydrive is more personal taste. It will be both bigger and heavier than both, however.

It`s really dependent on the sound you want from your rig. Paired with an OTB, all 3 cabs will be loud enough for your needs - unless you`re playing The O2 - so it`s down to personal preference. I`d look at bassists whose sound you like as a point of reference. Punchy tight sounds, or thick warm sounds. From this, you should get a direction of which cab suits best.

At a local venue I play they replaced their old Ashdown Mag 4x10 with an Ampeg Classic 4x10. What an incredible improvement in the sound, even though the bass amp is still the same (an old Ashdown Mag 600). It's also much louder than the old Ashdown cab as well. The Ampeg classic is a pretty expensive cab at £500 to £600 new but if you can find one used for your budget I really recommend it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1347488884' post='1801690']
In terms of "better" the SVT 410HLF should be better than the B 410HLF, as it is a higher range cab from the same maker. Whether or not it is better than the Hartke Hydrive is more personal taste. It will be both bigger and heavier than both, however.

It`s really dependent on the sound you want from your rig. Paired with an OTB, all 3 cabs will be loud enough for your needs - unless you`re playing The O2 - so it`s down to personal preference. I`d look at bassists whose sound you like as a point of reference. Punchy tight sounds, or thick warm sounds. From this, you should get a direction of which cab suits best.
[/quote]

Thanks man 1

i think im going to go with the Ampeg B-LHF410. i Like my bass to have a good distorted/overdriven high end but still have a good fat warm sound. Basically i like to be parallel with the guitar so the bass is right at the front. Plus i play in a hardcore band and theres alot of lead bass parts.

thanks again :)