Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

PA Setup... Advice please?

charic

The band is starting to get some momentum behind it again and we're thinking of getting our own PA so we can broaden our horizons a bit.

The vocalist is pretty handy at building stuff so he's thinking of building a couple of BFM PA speakers (we're thinking the DR250's but not REALLY looked into it a great deal YET).

We're also thinking some subs would be handy considering we're a pretty heavy band with plenty of lows so a couple of Titans too?

We're a heavy but melodic death metal band where the drums are programmed and as such need a lot of OOMPH through the PA without compromising the vocals (a problem we've encountered on some PA's)

So, questions:[list]
[*]Is this a good setup?
[*]Any suggestions on PA to drive the setup? (I've experience of live sound but never had to set up with subs before and it's confusing the matter)
[*]I'm guessing we'll need a crossover for the subs too?
[/list]
Any other thoughts? I'm basically thinking out loud here and opinions are appreciated :)

I'm in a similar situation, except that my vocalist isn't handy at anything except singing (sorry Meg, I'm sure you have skills I know nothing of ;) ). The BFM speakers look good but I don't know anyone that's used them in anger.

You will need a crossover for the subs. I believe the Behringer crossovers aren't too shabby, or if you're not bothered by stuff like time alignment you could DIY this: http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm

My opinion on power amps is that they're too heavy. I've ordered a bunch of Class D modules for a bass amp and if it works out I'll be building more for our PA.

Happy to help if I can, PM me.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1347270882' post='1798542']
Man up ;)

Don't mind the weight ourselves (we'll happily get a rack on wheels :) )

Thanks for the offer for help :D
[/quote]

Haha, you do like your gear as heavy as your music don't you!

I'll PM you when I get rid of the power amps I replace with ClassD :)

if you want a big powerful sound then you will have to put the money into big beefy units and carry them.
And then if depends on what venues you play...all bets are off if you go outside :lol:

Local festival hired in a P.A which they swear by... and it ran out of steam at 20-30mtrs outside and ruined the showcase event, IMO
as the sund was weedy.
Probably about 3.5k but no one sounded great thru it but the organisers wont have it.
I don't trust their ears now so I doubt we would be interested.

You need to get a feel for what your P.A can do for people numbers and sound throw, for want of a better word.
You sound like you want power and oomph

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1347271966' post='1798565']
Haha, you do like your gear as heavy as your music don't you!

I'll PM you when I get rid of the power amps I replace with ClassD :)
[/quote]

Heavy gear is harder to knick ;) but I currently have a RH450 and 2x RS210s. Not exactly heavy weights :P I'm just not adverse to weight in a setup. Quality comes first for me, then cost, then practicality :D

In my covers band we usually put everything through the pa, though considering carrying all the gear at the last gig nearly killed me, I`m trying to encourage them to no longer do this.

It does make the band sound better, however we don`t do it for volume, as we keep to the same volume as that of the drummer playing un-miked, we just do it to get a better spread of sound. Having the sub really adds to the depth of the sound too.

That said, I`ve seen plenty of bands who play the same venues as us who don`t do this, and they sound great, so coupling that with not wanting to carry all the gear are my reasons for no longer wanting to do it. Certainly some venues can need this, but I`d hope that if a venue is that big, they`d already have an in-house set-up already.

It's a case of some of the venues we've played the setup hasn't always been able to cope with the combination of drums and vocals. As our drums are programmed we HAVE to be able to hear them (we played 3/4 of a gig to drums that the crowd could hear and we couldn't... it was NOT easy). In the situation that the venue has a good PA then we'll just have ours on stage in place of a normal drummer so we can hear it where it should be and the normal monitors can focus on vocals. PERFECT!

If no PA at venue then the idea is to use our own :)

Charic - you leave reasonably close to me. If you want to have a blast through my PA at a rehearsal to give you some ideas, give me a shout. It has a pair of subs and two full range cabs each side, and two monitor mixes.

I used it this weekend for a band in which two of my sons play (see below). They are definitely not quiet, and it coped fine

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MbQ_i9P9aU[/media].

Edited by GregBass

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1347276522' post='1798637']
Charic - you leave reasonably close to me. If you want to have a blast through my PA at a rehearsal to give you some ideas, give me a shout. It has a pair of subs and two full range cabs each side, and two monitor mixes.

I used it this weekend for a band in which two of my sons play (see below). They are definitely not quiet, and it coped fine
[/quote]

Nice track :D Enjoyed that :)

Thanks for the offer! What's the system out of interest? May well take you up on the offer :)

Yes - the lads are OK :). My lads are the drummer and the guitarist with the non-white guitar.

It's a real hotch potch. The speakers are Peavey mega subs, JBL 1x15+horn full range, home built 1x12+horn full range. A Behringer PMP-3000 powered mixer, Mackie M1400 power amp, a nondescript graphic driving a pair of BK Electronics power amps each into a pair of 1x12+horn monitors.

It may give you a feel for whether you need subs, and what combination of speakers/amps would work for you.

I've built and use BFM, Otop 12s and Titan 39s. Seriously good and I mean as good as Martin and Turbo sound and incredibly light and transportable and also incredibly efficient so a lot more decibels for your money. My suggestion would be to read as much as you can on the BFM forums and all your questions about crossovers, limiting, time delay and just about anything will be answered. Good luck.

Edited by bertbass