Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Supertone issue.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I have just received a 3 point Hipshot super tone bridge for my bass.

My question is, did you remove the original threaded insert for the now redundant central bolt? What is the suggested way? Problem is, the threaded insert is really stuck in and I cant find a way to get it out without destroying the thread!

Cheers!

Rob.

I found a small, shorter bolt I could drop down inside the insert. Then screw the original bolt from the 3-point into the insert. Once it makes contact with the bolt inside, keep turning and it should start to lever the insert out enough that you can pull it the rest of the way. Need to use a big bladed, preferably long handled screw driver, so you don't wreck the head of the 3-point bolt.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1347637003' post='1803458']
I found a small, shorter bolt I could drop down inside the insert. Then screw the original bolt from the 3-point into the insert. Once it makes contact with the bolt inside, keep turning and it should start to lever the insert out enough that you can pull it the rest of the way. Need to use a big bladed, preferably long handled screw driver, so you don't wreck the head of the 3-point bolt.
[/quote]Sounds like a great idea. Crank extractor style.

Ditto - why do you need to remove it? It's designed to fit over the top of the front insert. I did have a problem on my RD where the front insert was the same size as the others. I ground out the recess in the bottom of the bridge with a Dremel until it fit over the slightly larger insert.