Why become a member? ×

Summer's End - my first ever festival.

JohnFitzgerald

At the ripe old age of 46 and 3/4 I'm getting ready to do my first ever festival at the Summer's End prog festival in 3 weeks time.

A couple of months back, I was approached by a drummer friend to see if I was interested in taking on the bass chair in his band. Comedy Of Errors.
I'm the first to admit that I don't completely have an understanding of what prog is, but listened to the stuff and was interested enough to agree to throw my lot in and sign up.

In true prog fashion here's a clip which involves harpsichord, guitar solos, yadda yadda.
The guitarist's a monster. Strange thing is, I told him he sounded very Al Murphy and he had never heard of him.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xELokNBChpE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xELokNBChpE[/url]

Really looking forward to it. even though were all based around Glasgow area and the gig's in the Forest of Dean.

• 3 weeks later...

What a fantastic experience.
We may have left home 27 hours before the gig, but it was well worh it.

We arrived to find a cracking lighting rig with moving heads and all the other fancy stuff and an engineer who knew his stuff. PA ewas a Martin line array system, Yamaha LS9 desk and a sound engineer who was oustanding.
Setup was a bit delayed due to the demands of others being a bit elaborate, but we just got on, set up and were soundcecked in no time at all.
It sounded great right out of the box.

The actual performance just ticked off with no issues at all and the crowd were wonderful and receptive giving us a warm reception.

Such a great experience and certainly ticked a few boxes for me.
I feel humbled to have been a part of such a great festival.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1349094979' post='1821640']
What a fantastic experience.
We may have left home 27 hours before the gig, but it was well worh it.

We arrived to find a cracking lighting rig with moving heads and all the other fancy stuff and an engineer who knew his stuff. PA ewas a Martin line array system, Yamaha LS9 desk and a sound engineer who was oustanding.
Setup was a bit delayed due to the demands of others being a bit elaborate, but we just got on, set up and were soundcecked in no time at all.
It sounded great right out of the box.

The actual performance just ticked off with no issues at all and the crowd were wonderful and receptive giving us a warm reception.

Such a great experience and certainly ticked a few boxes for me.
I feel humbled to have been a part of such a great festival.
[/quote]

From someone that was there, Comedy of Errors ran through a cracking set and the crowd loved them.

Edited by bozzie

• 2 weeks later...

Pics..? Did I hear someone mention pics..? Can't see 'em yet, but I'm sure they're a'comin'..! We love pics, here, don't we, lads (and lassies...)? Don't be shy, I see an ugly beggar every morning in the mirror, so I, for one, won't be shocked. Let's be 'avin' yer...

(Thanks for the vid', too. Took me right back to 'Gryphon', with Richard Harvey, at the Marquee in the 70's; happy days...)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1350783834' post='1843521']
Blimey..! What a cheerful-looking bloke you are..! :)

No, must be just an unlucky shot; it looks like a great time was had by all (including yourself...). Well done, lad; the show looks splendid. Keep it up.
[/quote]

Nothing unlucky about it....
I have one of those faces. :blink: