Why become a member? ×

OK, I need an amp!

alwoodcock

I've decided to get off the guitar and go onto bass duties, whilst there seems to be a frustrating lack of bassists here in the Southampton area!

I have a CV Jazz bass on the way, and now need an amp! Now, I'm not too bothered about how much an amp/cab arrangement weighs (I could do with losing a bit of weight anyway heehee) but I'm happy to go with a combo too.

I've had the Harkte LH500 or HA 3500 recommended over Ashdown, although, as I understand it, the EVO series is good. Trace Elliot earlier amps are another option.

Basically, I'd like a load of opinions on what is a good used set up, for up to £400-500 please.

Just bang on about what you'd recommend please. I'd be very grateful for some more options, as every time I see a Hartke/Ashdown/Trace Elliot worth going for, it's bloody miles away and, understandably, pick up only!

Thanks

Al

Edited by alwoodcock

If it were me I'd seriously consider a used Orange Terror Bass 500/first series Ashdown ABM (when they were still called the Klystron Magnifier) and a used cab (my preference in that price range would be a Peavey TX410, but there are dozens you could choose from).

The Orange has the best basic tone of any amp I've tried so if you're not a fidler then it would be a good one and bloody LOUD!!! Some criticize it for having a lack of tonal range, but if that bothers you get an EQ pedal on the cheap and you're laughing.

The Ashdown has a similar basic tone to my ears (at least the way I use it!) but can be tweaked a little more. In head format it's heavier than the Orange and I've never found mine to be anywhere near as loud as the power rating suggests, but it's more than adequate for most gigs. Cheaper than the Orange and available in multiple combo formats too.

Just my tuppence worth... I've never tried a Hartke that I can recall, but the LH500 gets a good name.

Hartke amp going here in Sussex if you're interested... you'd need to get a speaker cab though.

I think you should maybe get something fairly ordinary solid and reliable to start with, your rig is so much a part of your sound and its really down to personal taste. As you're just making the transition to bass it might take a little while for you to work out what you like and dislike.

Hartke, Trace Elliot, Ashdown, Ampeg all good solid stuff - but they each have their own sound - like Marshall, Vox and Fender amps for guitar.

That combo is the very one i have. That's a bargain price, but it would be asking an awful lot of a single ten inch speaker to be honest. I found combining my combo with an extension cab made a potent little rig though. I used mine with an Aguilar 1x12 and it sounded brilliant, and both combined would come in under your budget (aguilar gs112 cabs appear for sale here quite regularly).

if you like a slightly distorted tone, the Orange Terror would fit the bill nicely. Additionally, they have to be one of the loudest amps about, and weigh next to nothing, so it`s a win-win. Admittedly the eq is somewhat limited in comparison to a lot of other amps, but this isn`t a bad thing - if you like its tone, you`ll fnd it difficult to coax a bad sound from it.

At the moment - or at least earlier when I checked - there was an Epifani 2x12 for sale down south (Kent), for £200. Put that with an Orange Terror, you`d have a rig that would be loud enough anywhere (aside from maybe the O2), for not much more than £500.