Why become a member? ×

Aged bass parts......are they available in the uk?

surfguy13

I have a mid 70 P Bass for which I want to try and find an aged bridge cover.....or ideally an old one. Had a look round and there don't seem to be any places that sell [i]bass[/i] aged parts.

The guitar is [b]well [/b]worn and a brand new sparkly bridge cover might look a bit odd, hence the search either for an old one or an aged part. Can't get my head round relic guitars, this one is 100% naturally aged (see photo), but there are instances where they have a place.

Any links or ideas would be much appreciated. Or, if you have one you don't want.........?! :rolleyes:

[IMG]http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx272/surfguy13/1977%20Precision%20Bass/Precisionbass023.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1346600823' post='1791044']
I'm having the same problem trying to find scruffy pickguard screws and 70 Jazz pickup screws.[/quote]

As per my earlier post, take the screw out but this time rub it quite vigorously on the screw end with a dry brillo pad. Pop it back in & it is as authentic as you could hope for

Edited by BurritoBass

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1346604208' post='1791091']
A few ebay shops specialize is aged new parts. Just put aged into the search bar along with the part type. They usually seem to be stupidly expensive though, so the diy route might be best!

Yeah, agree totally. With postage and aged 'set' of bridge and pickup covers was going to be £65-£80 plus duty....outragous!

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1346606629' post='1791136']
GR guitars, in the US but I've always done well with them.
[/quote]

This is definitely the best website I've seen.....excellent range of bass parts both aged and straight. Bookmarked for future reference!!

[/quote]
[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1346600823' post='1791044']
I'm having the same problem trying to find scruffy pickguard screws and 70 Jazz pickup screws.

If anyone has any going space please drop me a PM. Hope I'm not hijacking your thread too much surfguy!
[/quote]

Hijack away!! :) Makes perfect sense. I have a magic tin of 'old' screws and bolts so if you could give me an idea if they are domed or flat screws (domed I guess) and what length the screws are I will have a rummage and see what I've got! Check out GR Guitars....gaffbass02 suggested it and the range of screws is mind-boggling!

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1346598117' post='1790994']
Get new covers and rub them gently for a bit with a dry brillo pad. It's a cheat I've used in the past and makes them look authentic.

Don't rub them too much in the same direction and go for an even covering - you'll be amazed at how good it looks
[/quote]

I did wonder about getting a new one and having a go at ageing it - if a brillo pad works then I'm game!! :) I had a look online and with a bottle of hydrochloric acid you can do wonders apparently but not too sure if I want to go quite that far!!!

[quote name='surfguy13' timestamp='1346608894' post='1791170']
I did wonder about getting a new one and having a go at ageing it - if a brillo pad works then I'm game!! :) I had a look online and with a bottle of hydrochloric acid you can do wonders apparently but not too sure if I want to go quite that far!!!
[/quote]

An example of my efforts with a brillo pad. It's subtle but totally hitting the spot. I have a few threads on here where I've mentioned it. This is a 76 Jazz with modern covers. Works for me :) Anything more will be too obvious

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1346620937' post='1791369']
An example of my efforts with a brillo pad. It's subtle but totally hitting the spot. I have a few threads on here where I've mentioned it. This is a 76 Jazz with modern covers. Works for me :) Anything more will be too obvious

[/quote]

Wow!! That's amazing. You really have cracked it, looks just perfect. As you say, just the right level of wear and it looks extremely convincing. You said don't rub too much in one direction - is it OK to just to rub it over in any direction or maybe circles? I shall order a new one tonight now that I've seen your home grown ageing!!

I've done it a few times. Use a dried out one from the kitchen rather than a brand new one and keep stopping to check. It's a pain BUT if you get into it too much in the same direction you'll mark it in a certain way. It should only take a couple of minutes but the "less is more" theory is the key. Do the screw heads fairly vigorously though or they'll shine like beacons! If you do over do it at all it only looks fake from a few inches away. As I said I've done a few now and I only mucked up one cover in all that time. Good luck

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1346625268' post='1791421']
I've done it a few times. Use a dried out one from the kitchen rather than a brand new one and keep stopping to check. It's a pain BUT if you get into it too much in the same direction you'll mark it in a certain way. It should only take a couple of minutes but the "less is more" theory is the key. Do the screw heads fairly vigorously though or they'll shine like beacons! If you do over do it at all it only looks fake from a few inches away. As I said I've done a few now and I only mucked up one cover in all that time. Good luck
[/quote]

Great stuff, thanks for that....really helpful. I'll give it go when the parts arrive. I would have used a new brillo so good to know I need to use a dry used one. Wish me luck!!! :)