Why become a member? ×

RetroVIBE basses - I don't need one but...

mcnach

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1347445906' post='1800807']
Did someone mention pick guards!!! :D

It is quit a bit of work to cover the front but not too difficult. Cut a ledge around the cavity you want to fill and plug with 4mm ply. Either fill with grain filler and respray or veneer the whole front for a guaranteed no gap finish. One advantage you have is that black binding. Mask up to that and paint the front a different colour. That Ray PG looks way better than the other options.

OR

You could do a 'Burns' style and have two or three seperate PG sections to cover all the bits!!! You also have the added bonus of incorperating another marque into the mix ;) [b][i]Rayburnfenderbacker [/i][/b] :blink:

A
[/quote]

oh, I'm so glad I live so far from you!!! :lol:

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1347449927' post='1800893']
Really?? :gas:

A
[/quote]

go away go away go away go away!!!!

(hmmm, I like the straight Stingray type alone better, but... this is quite nice, actually. I think I should start making my own pickguards! Or stop reading BC :lol:)

and the pickguard arrived! Looks good, perfect match of the original, plus an extra bit that I measured (so if it's wrong it's my fault ;))

Will report back with pictures tonight.

The metal pickup ring could work too, certainly tipping the hat more towards that who shall not be named...
At this stage, I'm happy with the simple black pickguard. Perhaps a red one (I like the large red body). But if I try something different... it's got to be a Stingray nod: oval pickguard (use the old OLP one), probably removing the neck pickup entirely, and a large metal control plate (it's got to be large unfortunately, given the extensive routing). I considered a SR5-inspired enlarged pickguard, but I don't think they look that good. But this would depend on finding soemone to do the plate etc etc, and frankly, I still haven't had the chance to play this bass that much yet, I think I'd like to focus on that now :)

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1347970687' post='1807325']
if its just a plain ali or steel plate then give us a nod. Wont be able to chrome it though! :)

A
[/quote]

hmmm, interesting! :)
I'll keep it in mind.
Have you ever thought of opening a shop? :lol:
(you'd have at least one customer! :P)

and here it is:

two screws have not yet been installed: they were moved from the original position and I haven't drilled them yet. I also had these other knobs from an old project, and I think it looks nice.
Perfect match, the Bass Doc has done a wonderful job... yet again! :)

(pity about the reflection... I've only just noticed!!! :lol:)

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1348050225' post='1808449']
Looks good! Have you managed to have a proper play now?
[/quote]

as properly as I can at home. Real test will come at rehearsal/live, which won't happen for another couple of weeks.

It's a grower. As I tweak it, it gets nicer. Definitely not a fan of the neck pickup, but the bridge one is decent. When I get my replacement NJ4SE from Nordstrand (I had one, it died, I bought replacement... then Nordstrand said they'd send me one FOC too) I will put it there... or maybe even disconnect the original, screw it into the body and just use one pickup. I'm very much a bridge-pickup type of person. I have it with mid/low action as I like it, and one of these days I'll get around to applying some oil on the neck, which will remove the slightly "raw" feel it has...

I'm quite happy with it, I just cannot make up my mind about the esthetics: red or black guard, ric-esque or Stingrayesque with metal plate? etc etc... but none of that changes the basics of the bass, and I like it.