Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds. New arrival.

NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1345889665' post='1782757']Hipshot Supertone bridge incoming for the new arrival (damn those three-point bridges are [i]awful[/i]).[/quote]

+1 for that. I see not everyone agrees though (on the outpost for instance). However, I've never heard anyone providing me with any reason why they prefer to keep the three pointer other than "tradition".

I get shot of them whenever I can (Supertone on my RD Artist, hell yeah).

Nice birds. I really ought to get working on my headless bird project once more.

They're just fabulous, I love the look and feel of Thunderbirds, I just have a dilemma with the tone of my Tokai, whether or not to tamper with it's electrics. I want a bit more of a punch to the tone. I've asked John East if he can offer me an EQ to put in it, just to give me some tonal options, but maybe it wouldn't sound like a Thunderbird any more, don't know. If it was a Gibson, it could be worth splashing the cash, but is a Tokai worth the upgrade, not sure, but the Baddass is a vast improvement on the stock bridge for sure...............

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/russjm/P1000632.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1346186776' post='1786357']
They're just fabulous, I love the look and feel of Thunderbirds, I just have a dilemma with the tone of my Tokai, whether or not to tamper with it's electrics. I want a bit more of a punch to the tone. I've asked John East if he can offer me an EQ to put in it, just to give me some tonal options, but maybe it wouldn't sound like a Thunderbird any more, don't know. If it was a Gibson, it could be worth splashing the cash, but is a Tokai worth the upgrade, not sure, but the Baddass is a vast improvement on the stock bridge for sure...............

[/quote]

I've heard nothing but good about the Tokai TBs...if it was me I'd maybe look at swapping out the pickups first. If you stick and East preamp in, then all you would be doing is preamping a pair of pickups that you've inferred aren't delivering. EMG make some direct replacements (TB-HZ) and if you shopped around, a pair would probably set you back around the same as an East unit and you'd have to think they would be better than the stock Tokai units. Alternatively, consider trying it through a Sansamp BDDI...even cheaper that the EMGs and at least you can turn it off!
P

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1345889665' post='1782757']
The black Gibson TB arrived a couple of days ago; the whitey and black Hamer FBIV arrived about three years ago. Hipshot Supertone bridge incoming for the new arrival (damn those three-point bridges are [i]awful[/i]).

P

[/quote]

A stunning trio if I may say so.