Why become a member? ×

Traded Roscoe Century Signature VI, rare madrone top, demeter pre!

nobodysprefect

bought this bass from Robin Ruscio last year, selling off tons of instruments to finance a Fodera.

update: I had the bass re-fretted. The old frets were polished by a luthier I won't be using again, as he polished the frets down to nothing! I'm done with that guy. The new frets were put on by a better, if more expensive, luthier. Now there's fret material for decades of playing!

I've had several Roscoes and this is tied for the best one, with the white ash bodied SKB3005. The top is fairly rare, the body is Spanish cedar. End result: very full tone, with a sweeter c-string than most 35" basses. Works reeeally well for most fingerstyle genres. Also has Roscoe barts, Demeter pre-amp. 35" scale, 18,3 mm string spacing, the famous Roscoe neck, and one of the very best B-strings around. I've had Dingwalls, and Roscoe can take Dingwall.

In comparison to most Roscoes, this one has a fuller tone due and nicer top end/not too rumbly low end due to the Demeter pre and the cedar body. Aguilars tend to have shrill top and muddy thundery lows, the Demeter has glassy highs and clean, full lows. And the Demeter doesn't have a papery, squicky clean character at all. Nice!

Ergonomics: Roscoe has some of the best ergonomics around. From the way it balances to the neck dimensions to body contours, nothing detracts from playing.

edit:
Robin gigged this one a LOT. All in all, in good condition, but it has been gigged. I went over the bass very carefully. There are the usual superficial scratches you get with modern finishes. No dings or dents anywhere on the bass. The frets are now brand new and are done to Mike Tobias level of quality.

Everything is in full working order. Comes with a gig bag.

Back for sale. Comes with a v nice undercover gig bag.Traded. Would be happy to take more photos for interested parties. Also have some soundclips demonstrating the traditional Roscoe tone in a bossa/swing trio. Trade-wise, something cheap and nasty, or Fodera, or W&T, or Adamovic, or Leduc, or Noguera, or Skjold would be interesting.

Edited by nobody's prefect

The Demeter is widely regarded as having better glassy highs than any other preamp Roscoe has offered. The lows are very clear, but not thunderous, if you want that. The mids are also quite clean, not gnarly. Some find that they need to boost the mids a little on some ash-bodied Roscoes: this one has plenty of mids.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...