Why become a member? ×

ESP 400 Series ('64) Jazz Bass. £ SOLD

eubassix

Some photos and (hopefully accurate) background on the ESP 400 Series Jazz ('64) Bass.....

ESP jazz bass series 400. Apparently - and please correct me if I'm wrong (!) - the 400 series was produced by ESP between 1983 and 1988 and later renamed the "Traditional Series" being the ESP variant of a ' 64 Fender Jazz bass. They were a very popular Vintage reproduction - so much so that Fender had the model banned in the USA - with demand for the instrument so high that in 2007 ESP again offered these basses in small number as 'Vintage-4' Jazz basses. Not sure how many were made (in the original or resurrected run/s) but I've not seen another. Baker Rorick (?who-dat?) Reviewed and Compared the ESP 400 series with Fender Reissues, stating... " The ESP 400 Series is the better instrument for half the Price" ... And ... " They feel, play and sound correct" (1998 in the article " "Recent Relics" - Guitar shop magazine). The instruments were hand-made at ESP, Japan.
4-String, Ash body, 4-bolt maple neck, Rosewood F/board, 20-fret, 2x ESP jazz bass Pickups, Vintage Style mechanics, very 'familiar' neck profile in the style of 60' s Fender Jazz bass.

(incl.) .... reduced to .. and finally SOLD

Edited by eubassix

Interesting read. I have an ESP 400 series Jazz from around 1987 - 1988 and it has a different head stock. It's a bloody amazing bass and I would never sell it. Problem I have is the neck is warped a little on it due to myself not looking after it. Wish I could get it sorted.

Good luck with the sale. they are amazing basses.

Hi Linus - that's also very interesting: good to know that ther's another (more?) out there!
.. although disappointing to learn about the neck!

Could you add (or send/PM) some photos ?

Re. the neck: is it beyond redemption? I guess you've searched for a possible replacement, but that it's tricky with a soewhat (seemingly) rare bass. Would a std. (either original or good copy) fender J neck fit the pocket?

[quote name='eubassix' post='188717' date='Apr 30 2008, 11:25 AM']Hi Linus - that's also very interesting: good to know that ther's another (more?) out there!
.. although disappointing to learn about the neck!

Could you add (or send/PM) some photos ?

Re. the neck: is it beyond redemption? I guess you've searched for a possible replacement, but that it's tricky with a soewhat (seemingly) rare bass. Would a std. (either original or good copy) fender J neck fit the pocket?[/quote]

Yes I do look from time to time but the only 400 series necks I have found was one like yours and as you so, they are so rare and such amazing basses. Apart from Ebay, i am not sure where else to look. I am surprised you are selling yours as they are amazing basses.

Yes, I will post up some photos for you later tonight.

I have only taken the bass to my usual guy who used to set my basses up. He has now kind of stopped working on them and I was wondering if it is worth taking it to somebody more proffesional in setting up guitars and repairs. I would love to get her back to normal as the bass is very special to me. It was a gift from my dad. He was very keen for me to get into music and really supported and encouraged me. He bought it for me new back in 1987 or 1988 which at the time was very expensive. Unfortunately, he passed away 3 months before I signed my record deal and so never got to see me achieve my dream and his dream for me (although I have no doubt he was looking down on me) so I will never ever sell it. My dream is if my son follows in my footsteps and I will pass it on to him on the condition he looks after it and never ever sells it. Its been everywhere with me and has never let me down. The only other option would be a Fender neck but to be honest, I want to keep the original neck as its so thin and not like any other neck I have played.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

Your welcome. Yes, the neck has twisted I think and has also curved. I think the rod can't be adjusted any more to straighten her out. Thats the problem, it can't be adjusted any more so I think it needs expert attention. Its playable still but its not as good as it was. The action used to be amazing but now its a little higher up at the sharp end :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tried (and failed) again on ebay ... despite numerous Watchers & Questions. I've had some offers but all too low.
Dropping the price
Here's a similar ESP 400 I found with a search: doesn't have the correct bridge nor the MHS .. but was removed from ebay when advertised at = £530 / 885 (BIN)...(?!!):-

Edited by eubassix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks B F .. I think it's a sign of 'troubled times' maybe (?)....

I've decided to relist this on ebay so am offering the same here to BC'ers - inclusive.

Edited by eubassix

Hope it sells, I picked up a 400 Series second hand in the early 90's, it's an 87. I've never played another 4 string Jazz that even comes close by any manufacturer.

This is a 100% absolute bargain for whoever picks it up.

• 4 weeks later...