Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is anyone here in a regular band that records but doesn't gig?

Sean

I've been in a band for 18 months and we've really struggled to find a singer that's a keeper for whatever reason but the three of us get on well and are vey creative. We've recorded a few bits and pieces with me singing; overdubbed because I can't play my busy lines and sing the melodies.

I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation, whether you think it can be maintained long term, what the pitfalls are etc.

I like the recording process, I like writing as a collective and I love singing ( I fronted bands on guitar and vocals for 20 years) but obviously we'll never gig unless we find a singer. I get a massive buzz from gigging, always have since I was 14 years old. Am I like an alcoholic trying to convince myself that orange juice is the way forward?

I've thought about packing it all up and joining a function/tribute band or someone else's original band but I've been there, done that in the past and I don't get the satisfaction cos there's no ownership.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Cheers
Sean

Edited by Sean

the project im doing at the mo is me on bass and another guy doing guitars vocals programming drums ect
weve got an album out half way through recording the second and have never done a gig........i havent gigged with a band for years and am quite nervous at the prospect of doing so to be honest
it depends what someones comfort zone is it sounds like your itching to gig......... where im happy just recording

Interesting thread. After getting fed up of playing in covers bands, I've started recording bits and bobs on soundcloud.
I've only just started a couple of months ago, and am enjoying that.
I did enjoy playing live, but after regular rehearsals(other than when other band members couldn't make it) I was often playing
in front of one man and his dog.) Then you had to keep looking for pubs, chasing them up etc..

I was thinking of starting a 'band' , where a group of us jam/rehearse and instead of gigging ,we do you tube stuff instead.
People would probably think I'm mad,) , as all people I've played with in the past got bored of rehearsing and wanted to get
'out there'

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1344494117' post='1765292']
Of ourse the usefulness of gigging is that it helps to sharpen new stuff - you get a keen sense, IMO of how good/bad/unfinished/how much more work a song needs etc, by playing them live
[/quote]

Yeah it only takes one instance of the audience looking at you with a gormless bored look to know your 7 minute guitar solo needs pared down a tad :lol:

My band recorded a set of 5 songs taken from a live set of about 6 or 7. They seemed the most polished and well regarded. We ended up doing them almost live with minimal overdubs, but looking back some of it seems underdeveloped. One song in particular didn't really work in the studio until we incorporated a few synths (something that we couldn't do live).

The only thing an audience does is in the creative process is tell you whether they like the song or not. The danger with being all alone in the studio is that one can become a bit self-indulgent and end up with a record nobody is really interested in. However, if you're making music that you like and enjoy making, sod 'em.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1344498186' post='1765330']
Have you not thought of getting a bassist instead? Then you can take the vocals
[/quote]

We've been through this with a couple of bass players and it changed the feel of the band too much and became a problem because I build the songs around my bass lines and the bassists didn't get it. Plus I love bass playing more than singing.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1344548475' post='1766414']
Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee, Lemmy, etc, etc.
[/quote]

Yeah, but they can sing and play. It's strictly one or the other for me for any basslines that are not straight time or just very easy; if I start singing when playing the playing goes wrong and if I start playing when singing the singing goes.