Why become a member? ×

Discussion after rehearsal last night

Blademan_98

Why not learn the original bass lines and then add your own parts when your guitarist isn't flying off on a solo or when it'll fit.
Doing too much can ruin a song but doing not enough on bass is fookin boring.

Hope that helps a bit.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1344262717' post='1761882']

I enjoy making my own lines, I just seem to have lost that ability in the band situation.
[/quote]

Sounds like to me that you are lacking a little inspiration in your playing and settled into a bit of a routine following the same old format. I have found that the subconsciousness is a wonderful thing, especially for a musician and I have found that whenever I have fallen into a bit of a routine when writing bass line or songs (only ever done originals) that going and listening to a lot of new and different music really helps. You will become a sponge and pick up on what the bass is doing, little runs, pauses, what other players do in a verse, bridge and chorus etc. You might find that you start getting curious and pick up the bass to try and work stuff out and before you know it, you will have a few new tools to your belt to try out rather than root and fifth. So go and find something totally different and be open minded.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1344290226' post='1762445']
You can only play a part that works with the song

You both agree that the new guy is very good but he is giving you WTF glances when deviat

e from the original part. Either the new guy is overly anal about reproducing the exact performance on the record or you need to listen very carefully to what you are playing that causes such a reaction!

Personally, I would do the latter before I tackled the guitarist about the former......
[/quote]+1 on this..

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1344329606' post='1762750']
Maybe you could go back and listen to the tunes and to what the original bass player did on the recording. Take that as a starting point for your own lines?
[/quote]

I have spent a pleasant afternoon going over the set list :)

Most of the songs are simple root followers with a few passing notes anyway :unsure:
The ones that have a clear and memorable bass line I have spent some time getting back to the original line.

One that is annoying me is Changing Man by Paul Weller as I really can't pin down what is going on. This is one of the songs where I have either stuck to the root or gone off on my own........

Still, I have realised that I need to go with the flow more in my covers band.
That should allow me to set up my own band with the drummer to create some original material.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1344262291' post='1761868']
It seems to me like you have found your way, not lost it.
[/quote]

Agree. Whilst playing root notes etc maybe uninteresting, if that`s what the original lines were, stick to `em. Plus, keeping it tight like this emphasises good singing/guitar work, rather than competing against them.