Why become a member? ×

Advice on possible next bass please!

Pinball

I'm driving myself nuts with this.

Do I need another bass? No as I already already have the three a TRB1005, Spector Legend 4 and Dean Improv 5.
Do I want another bass? Hell yes I'm excited about the prospect and my bass fund is rising and I'm looking to spend between £300-500.

Limiting factors are that I seem happier with a 35" scale and don't like tight string spacing. Also I want something that will add sounds to my bass armoury. I'm not really into travelling down the fender route. I have never really been into the look of standard Fender and MM that much but don't rule them out totally

I was thinking of a 2nd hand Spector 5 but that feels like I'm wasting an opportunity to try out something new.

I love the G&L tributes or maybe a Cort GB75 would do but they are both 34"scale. I tried a yamaha bb425x that I tried recently and found that nice to play. What else am I left with? Overwater or BTB maybe?

Anyway I'm sick of looking at guitar stats so I'm off to a shop to try a few. Any suggestions of an interesting good value bass would be much appreciated! 2nd hand preferred.

Edited by Pinball

Thanks Conan, see reply.

Peavy Cirrus? Good thought s I always think they look great (I have a soft spot for Peavy-1st bass). I tried one and one of the Ibanez SR series about 6 weeks back and they didn't feed my need.

Re: getting hung up on 35" scale-point taken you may be right. That came from having two Spector Legend 4's when I got the 2nd one as a swap. I couldn't figure out why I preferred one over the other as they appeared identical. It turned out that one was 35 and the other 34.
I am very wide shouldered and the 35 felt like it was mine and built for me and the other didn't. Of course that may only be true for Spectres but my other basses are also 35's also so I suspect that inch makes a difference for me.

Edited by Pinball

Well I'm back after a nice afternoon trying out a few basses. That cheered me up lots as it'st is much better trying them rather than looking at them on the screen.

Played the yamaha 425x for ages. Very suable passive bass with a good sound. I tried a slightly cheaper yamaha bass that looked similar but the drop off in sound quality and sustain. I like the "X" a lot but.....not sure it's going to satisfy me longer term. I made the mistake of playing a couple of Sandberg California's, one Jazz (passive?) and one active humbuckier. They spoiled it because I now want one of those haahaa. I guess to some extent you get what you pay for.

I had a great time and played for almost a couple of hours. Then an eight year old kid came in with his dad and started slapping with a Gibson. He was aswome/much better than me and had a louder amp than me so I thought it best to make a retreat :gas:

I think I'll just chill till the right one comes along!

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Edited by Pinball

Cool thanks, well your welcome to come over and bring yours if your free this week. I'll PM you.

I'm much happier now as since my trip and the replies on theis post I have a number of leads to follow. Then I can get back to playing basses rather than thinking aout them.