Why become a member? ×

Multiple TC cabs in a rig

GetYourFunkOut93

Hi chatters, I have a TC RH750 and am looking for TC RS cabs in the future for my rig.

On the back of the head it says its min load is 4ohms. The RS112 RS212 and RS210 cabs are all 8ohms.. But I've seen people with 3 TC cabs stacked to make up their rigs.. But that would not be 4ohms.. It would be lower.

Just wanted to know what people think about it.

Cheers

I have been looking for a previous thread that explained this to help you out but failed - sorry. I know what you mean though. I have the RS212 and RS210 cabs but was thinking about upgrading the amp to a Shuttle 9 and would need another cab to cope with the additional output.

This question has been asked many times (not a dig at you, I ask questions that have been asked before many times ;) just saying that you can find this info elsewhere from other people more reputable than myself, that's all :))

So, yes... find the details on the TC website.

But the short answer is: it's ok.

Impedance is not a fixed number for all frequencies, so giving one number alone is an exercise on abstraction. An indication.
TC knows the behaviour of their amps and of the speaker cabs they use with those amps, so they recommend to treat their "8 ohm" cabs as "8 ohm" cabs when using other amps, but if using TC amps, you can use up to three of them.

The amp has a auto-shut down safety mechanism built in, so it's unlikely you'd damage it if you went lower than you should, but yes, 3 TC cabs are ok with TC amps. In fact it was one of their advertising points: "use up to three (TC) cabs for a ridiculously powerful rig", or something along those lines.

Mixing brands? Treat the head as a minimum 4ohm and cabs as rated in the back.
All TC? Then use the head with up to three "8ohm" cabs

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1344090696' post='1759668']
This question has been asked many times (not a dig at you, I ask questions that have been asked before many times ;) just saying that you can find this info elsewhere from other people more reputable than myself, that's all :))

So, yes... find the details on the TC website.

But the short answer is: it's ok.

Impedance is not a fixed number for all frequencies, so giving one number alone is an exercise on abstraction. An indication.
TC knows the behaviour of their amps and of the speaker cabs they use with those amps, so they recommend to treat their "8 ohm" cabs as "8 ohm" cabs when using other amps, but if using TC amps, you can use up to three of them.

The amp has a auto-shut down safety mechanism built in, so it's unlikely you'd damage it if you went lower than you should, but yes, 3 TC cabs are ok with TC amps. In fact it was one of their advertising points: "use up to three (TC) cabs for a ridiculously powerful rig", or something along those lines.

Mixing brands? Treat the head as a minimum 4ohm and cabs as rated in the back.
All TC? Then use the head with up to three "8ohm" cabs
[/quote]

Very helpful, Thanks :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1344090958' post='1759673']
The amp is 2.67 min so 3 8 ohm cabs from any manufacturer will be fine. I ran 3 Bergantino cabs with mine and it sounded pretty damn good.
[/quote]

This! I ran a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm barefaced can from a RH450. No problems! This head can go down to 2.66 ohms with any cabs it would seem. TC even released info to confirm that.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1344168456' post='1760608']
And as we all know the truth that TC amps only put out about three and a half watts, you will need as much speaker area as possible to be heard over a tweeting budgie.

Actually, I'm probably just jealous.

:)
[/quote]

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1344168456' post='1760608']
And as we all know the truth that TC amps only put out about three and a half watts, you will need as much speaker area as possible to be heard over a tweeting budgie.

Actually, I'm probably just jealous.

:)
[/quote]

:lol:

(maybe a very loud budgie with a good PA could pose a problem :P)