Why become a member? ×

Warmoth Build: Fretless Jazz Bass V, 60s styling, modern twist!

JimBobTTD

I am still amazingly impressed with the wonder that is my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/120798-warmoth-build-jazz-bass-v-60s-styling-modern-twist"]Warmoth Jazz V that I put together last year[/url] that I have decided to make a fretless version.

This will be:

Warmoth neck: Deluxe 5, flamed maple, Indian rosewood, lined fretless. Finished in nitro by the same guy who did the fretted bass. Stainless steel inserts to allow for frequent neck change without damage. Hipshot Ultralite tuners. Hipshot 2 + 3 string retainer.

The rest of the project is going to be done at a later date when funding allows, so this thread will run for about a year, possibly more. Right now, it will be the same as the fretted:

Warmoth Deluxe 5 Jazz body, alder, white nitro, double battery box on rear.
Hipshot A bridge
Tort scratchplate
Chrome jazz control plate
Seymour Duncan pickups

However, I am tempted to do something different. I am thinking about a preamp and perhaps even different pickups.

Joy!!!

• 3 months later...

Four months on and the project has mostly come to a halt.

I have the tuners, string retainers and neck bolts but no neck yet. Life keeps getting in the way!

Nonetheless, the project has evolved in my head. I am going to opt for an ebony fingerboard; my rosewood fingerboard on my fretless conversion (another project that has stalled) is already showing signs of wear from only light use. Whilst the wood is likely of relatively poor quality, I'll still cover by bases and go for ebony as it is, if talk is true, harder.

What will likely happen now is that I'll order a neck which will go on my Jazz. The neck on there now will go on a P body to become my fretted workhorse. Warmoth don't do an old school P body for five strings, so this will need arranging too.

• 2 months later...

Six months on and the project has come to a halt.

A new Warmoth neck is rather expensive and would eventually lead to another project to use the spare neck; I'm try to reduce the number of instruments I have at home.

It looks like I shall have my Warmoth V defretted and epoxied and shelve this project...unless I can find someone who can build a Warmoth repro at not all that much more than a defret and epoxy job. I'm not holding my breath, though!

If you are using threaded inserts, why not just do a fretless neck which can be swapped quite quickly with the fretted neck on your other bass. I am doing this on a Musicman/Sandberg style 5 string build I'm busy with at the moment
This would reduce costs and the number of basses you have standing around
Good luck
Harry

• 3 weeks later...

Right...

I have asked our very own nugget to make me a neck. I have sent my Warmoth neck to him which he will clone and then make me a fretless neck. Here is the wood he has selected:

So plenty of flame, then! The ebony has not yet been sourced but is on the way.

Happy days!!!

Edited by JimBobTTD

• 2 weeks later...