Why become a member? ×

Started lessons

AntLockyer

Despite having 'played' the bass for some time I'd actually go t no where with learning to play. I'd have periods where I'd practice something random everyday for a couple of weeks and then would not bother again for months. This pattern has existed before in other things I've tried (apart from drums that I worked really hard at [b]when I was having lessons[/b]). So I thought that a teacher was needed to get me on a path and give me the motivation needed to be consistent in my practice and learning.

So yesterday I had my first lesson with Chris (dudewheresmybass from this forum) and we quickly established where I was in terms of fundamentals and where I wanted to go.

We were working on some blues progressions with syncopation and it became clear I'd lost the ability to read music and play at the same time. So that's what I'm doing as home work.

Since leaving his place at 9 last night I've done 3 hours practice :)

Well done to both student and teacher! :)
When I decided to take up bass playing, the first thing I did was look for a tutor, despite the glut of DVDs and youtube clips targeted at beginners. I think it's always best to take lessons, not only as an absolute beginner as I was, but also when you are getting back to music after a break; that way, any bad habits you may develop, or have developed, are nipped in the bud and good, effort-saving habits are instilled.