Why become a member? ×

Hiromi Uehara - "Spiral" Bass Transcription

funkypenguin

For the Jazz and Fusion fans out there, my full transcription of Tony Grey's bass part for "Spiral" by Hiromi Uehara. Its my personal favourite of all her material (Tony's solo is brilliant), this is the studio version and title track from the Spiral CD.

Its one of the more complex pieces i've transcribed, some of it may not be 100% accurate but its pretty much there :) I've a few more Hiromi transcriptions on the go, will post them soon, all being well!

Enjoy!!

Ben

[attachment=114179:Spiral Bass Transcription.pdf]

Edited by funkypenguin

[quote name='wal4string' timestamp='1343351430' post='1749497']
Many Thanks.

[/quote]

No worries!

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' timestamp='1343367623' post='1749521']
Nice one. I'm thoroughly enjoying her album 'Voice' at the moment, some great playing by Anthony Jackson on there. Tony Grey is missed though!

Stu
[/quote]

Cheers Stuart, I'm transcribing Anthony's parts to Voice and Labyrinth too, il get them posted when i've finished them :) AJ is one of my absolute favourite bassists, but Tony is definetely missed in the trio format, his sound, inventive parts and soloing are all so distinctive on the albums he's done with Hiromi. Spiral is still her best CD IMO, it takes alot of listening to sink in, but the compositions on it are really on another level. She's one of the very few virtuosic instrumentalists (IMHO) that has equal skill as a composer. Cant wait to see her play live

Edited by funkypenguin

Funkypenguin,

This looks like an impressive piece of work: 5 flats, 13/8 time and 7-ledger lines!

Shouldn't we go to the treble clef for those higher notes?

visog....

Edited by visog

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1343673591' post='1753551']
Funkypenguin,

This looks like an impressive piece of work: 5 flats, 13/8 time and 7-ledger lines!

Shouldn't we go to the treble clef for those higher notes?

visog....
[/quote]

Cheers! Yeah, some of the 13/8 solo took a LONG time to transcribe. add delay to that and it was a real bugbear. Yeah, some of the introduction could be in treble clef, il change it on the chart and put that up too :)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1343676665' post='1753615']
Hey Ben - Thanks for this !
Great chart, and nice and clean.
I love this track.

Domo Arigato[u]

Garry
[/quote]

No worries :) Its my favourite Hiromi track and 'Spiral' is one of my all time favourite jazz/fusion albums. Ive a few more Hiromi transcriptions on the go, check them out when i post them :)

[quote name='wilko_66' timestamp='1344378534' post='1763802']
I can't seem to open this. Somethin to do with .ipb format. Any chance we can get it in pdf format? :)
[/quote]

It is in PDF format, its a glitch with basschat as far as i know. when you've downloaded it, select adobe reader as the program to open it and it should work