Why become a member? ×

CIJ 75 reissue Fender Jazz - which pickguard?

mcnach

I have just collected a lovely Fender Jazz CIJ 75 reissue (thanks Derrick! :)) and it came with a white pickguard.
I'd like to get a black one for it (natural/maple, it has to have a black pickguard!!! :)) but there seems to be a million and one different variations. Normally I am not precious about pickguard holes, but this one I will use sometimes without a pickguard at all, so I don't want to butcher it...
Does anybody know for sure which model and where I can get one that fits?

It's probably nearly impossible to know *for certain*, so I'll probably end up getting one custom made, but I thought I'd ask first.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1343341868' post='1749390']
I had one custom made after buying 2 which weren't any good as the holes were "miles out". All i needed to do was give him the original one and .. Voila.. Perfect fit all round, cost me about 15 quid i think
[/quote]

Yeah, that sounds like the best bet. I had a couple made in the past by our resident Bass Doc... I should probably get in touch with him again.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1343342643' post='1749404']
Makes sense matey unless anyone else can tell you the exact one to get, but i doubt it.. Ive got 2 spare black ones here but they're both left handed.
[/quote]

Hmmm, would they work if I play in front of the mirror? :P

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1343343562' post='1749423']
Course they would... n't
They'd work if you screwed em on upside down??
[/quote]

right, I need a mirror that reverses the pickguard, but not me or the bass...
Off I go to write a new research grant. You may laugh now, but the future of TV is here!
Or maybe I should just get some sleep :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1343343757' post='1749426']

right, I need a mirror that reverses the pickguard, but not me or the bass...
Off I go to write a new research grant. You may laugh now, but the future of TV is here!
Or maybe I should just get some sleep :P
[/quote]sleep .. Yea good idea

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1343378171' post='1749680']
I kept looking at the white pickguard on my 74, then I decided I don't really want to look like another Marcus Miller clone.

You might find the white one grows on you ;)
[/quote]

NO, no, far too white. A cream one I can see, but white... sends the "urgh" to the deepest recesses of my body ;)

Right now, it's pickguardless, I dislike the white one so much.
I have a cream one that nearly fits, but not quite (it fit the Squier VM Jazz). A mint white one that does not fit at all (and I would not like there) and a tortoiseshell one that fits exactly (currently on a Squier Jazz) but I don't particularly like the natura/tortoiseshell, and I'd rather keep it on the squier anyway.

I hear you about the MM clone thingy... but what can I do, I really like the natural (or butterscotch) with maple fingerboard and black pickguard theme (see my avatar for another example :))

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1343404109' post='1750316']
dark red tortoise shell is the way to go i reckon...
[/quote]

I have one already (on another bass, but it fits!), however... black/natural is slightly more delicious, so I am getting our good Bass Doc to copy the white one I have in glorious dark menacing black. :)

Cut the heads off the screws, super glue them into the black pickguard holes (Or get the bassdoc to make one with no holes at all) then use that double sided tape you have.You wont be making the holes loose when you do take the guard on and off all the time either. ;)

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1343503035' post='1751551']
Cut the heads off the screws, super glue them into the black pickguard holes (Or get the bassdoc to make one with no holes at all) then use that double sided tape you have.You wont be making the holes loose when you do take the guard on and off all the time either. ;)

A
[/quote]

What a cool idea. Well done Sir.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1343503035' post='1751551']

A
[/quote]

but then I'd be removing adhesive residue everytime I remove the pickguard ;)
That double-sided tape is really very good. It held the thumbrest really firmly on the bass. Some of the best inventions are the most simple ones!

I have to admit, that I liked the idea of a no-holes pickguard. :)

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1343504960' post='1751587']
I recently took the guard off mine and haven't put another on - I think it looks great (natural, maple, white blocks) - will stick a photo up
[/quote]

Indeed!

Mine does not have the prettiest grain, I have to admit, and one of the pieces the body is made off is clearly darker than the others. With the pickguard on most people would not pay attention. Without it it is very noticeable (actually the grain on the back is much nicer... I think mine was meant to be a lefty, I'm convinced :lol:). The one 'bubinga5' has for trade has a wonderful grain. But after I examined the pictures on what later became my bass, I decided that there was something cool about it... more of a "plank of wood with strings" vibe to it that I liked.
In any case... yes, natural ash body and maple fingerboard, what's not to like? I'm not exactly a fan of neck binding or blocks, but I think it looks great on this bass.

I should put some pictures of mine too.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1343502364' post='1751543']
I have one already (on another bass, but it fits!), however... black/natural is slightly more delicious, so I am getting our good Bass Doc to copy the white one I have in glorious dark menacing black. :)
[/quote]

Excellent! Makes my white one even more exclusive :P

Good luck trying to sound like Marcus Miller! ;)

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1343552801' post='1751891']
Good luck trying to sound like Marcus Miller! ;)
[/quote]

My liking maple/natural/black has nothing to do with Mr. Miller, who is a great bass player although I'm not a big fan (and I don't like his beer either :P)

Just check out my Stingray (see the avatar), G&L L2000, Cort GB74, Squier CV50, Fender Precision fretless, Squier VMJ... you may notice a recurrent theme there ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1343554144' post='1751909']
My liking maple/natural/black has nothing to do with Mr. Miller, who is a great bass player although I'm not a big fan (and I don't like his beer either :P)

Just check out my Stingray (see the avatar), G&L L2000, Cort GB74, Squier CV50, Fender Precision fretless, Squier VMJ... you may notice a recurrent theme there ;)
[/quote]

As long as you don't mind explaining that to every bass player you meet ;) :P