Why become a member? ×

Bit unhappy lately.

norvegicusbass

I can totally sympathise with this as many times I hear myself and feel like packing it all in :lol:

The question you have to ask yourself is what are you comparing yourself to , if its a recorded bass sound played by a professional recorded by a professional with all the added studio effects then your not really comparing like with like.

Best advice -go to a proper teacher , even if its only for one lesson , play him something and ask his honest opinion ( I am of course assuming that you can find a good teacher) the cost of this will be less than trying to chase the perfect amp !

I recorded my first track for the current album a little while back and got what I thought was a perfect take, grinning like a fool I played it back isolated.. my face dropped.. it sounded terrible, little buzzes here, bit of string noise there and I was absolutely gutted.

So I rerecorded and rerecorded until it was almost perfectly clean, then I played each of them back in turn with the track. The original one sounded better, and not just by a little bit!

At this point I was very happy but felt like an idiot as I had spent the best part of an entire day recording the same track again and again despite the first take sounding the best!!

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1343378396' post='1749684']
I can totally sympathise with this as many times I hear myself and feel like packing it all in :lol:

The question you have to ask yourself is what are you comparing yourself to , if its a recorded bass sound played by a professional recorded by a professional with all the added studio effects then your not really comparing like with like.

Best advice -go to a proper teacher , even if its only for one lesson , play him something and ask his honest opinion ( I am of course assuming that you can find a good teacher) the cost of this will be less than trying to chase the perfect amp !
[/quote]
Excellent point. When I listen to isolated bass tracks I am often struck by how much better they sound when included within the original track. BTW something odd that I noticed is when my partner is busy doing her hair and using her hairdryer my tone sounds a lot better when I am in the same room as her. So I have figured that the best place for me to gig is a bedroom with a large wardrobe and a hairdryer.

[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]'I know what I like[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]And I like what I know[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Getting better in your wardrobe[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4] [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Stepping one beyond your show' :)[/size][/font][/color]

I can empathise with you: these small practice amps are usually underpowered and sound awful. My fav pet hate was a Trace Elliot Boxer which I encountered in a rehearsal room years ago. We could not get our usual room and were offered another, in which lay this POS. TE shoulda renamed it the 'Boxy', cos that's what it sounded like: a wooly, wooden sound and any use of volume would make the thing rattle like mad.

You mention financial restraint but if I were you I'd get rid of that thing right now and wait until you can afford something decent.