Why become a member? ×

Wilkes fretless bass string spacing

adriansmith247

Hi

I have a Wilkes frettless bass. The neck is beautiful, with an ebony fingerboard and has those metal plates at the bottom. there is a pickup behind these plates and a soap bar type pickup on the body.

The bridge is almost certainly not the original which left the low E string not really sitting over the pickup pole. I replaced the pickup years ago which helped. The bridge is one of those with small wheels to adjust the spacing.

Are theses basses meant to have a narrow string spacing? Does anyone know whether original bridges can be purchased?

Also, is it possible to have the body refinished as it has been a casualty of someone who liked stripping and painting things purple! (previous owner of course)

I am thinking about selling it as I don't use it much anymore so want find out a bit more about what I have got and whether it is worth me fixing it up.

Adrian

Pictures added

Edited by adriansmith247

[quote name='adriansmith247' timestamp='1343217750' post='1747153']The bridge is almost certainly not the original which left the low E string not really sitting over the pickup pole. I replaced the pickup years ago which helped. The bridge is one of those with small wheels to adjust the spacing.[/quote]

Sounds like you're talking about a Schaller 3D bridge which probably is the original bridge for a percussive fretless model. It's also probably not worth putting a lot of money into it, in terms of a refinish; unfortunately, Wilkes basses don't seem to fetch much money in the second hand market.

I have the same model but in original black finish, as GeeCee points out the bridge is a Schaller 3D. The pole pieces don't line up with the spacing but it doesn't seem to bother tone or volume on my bass, just looks odd! I think the original pickup is a Dimarzio, Doug is a great builder and these fretless models are a testament to his innovative designs. It's a shame they don't get the same recognition as some UK custom makers as they were/are superbly made - I'm still looking for a fretted one to match my 'Percussive Fretless' but people tend to hang on to them! I'd agree with Cairobill and drop Doug a line, although I believe he does post on this forum occasionally.

Its probably quite a decent body under the paint - maybe even mahogany? Worth a strip back to a natural waxed look...sounds like a nice bass in need of some TLC. Might also be worth considering an EMG for it - no poles to line up to, and probably a simple retro fit? Post a photo and someone can probably tell if its a Schaller or DiMarzio (the two most likely).

Thanks for the feedback. I have added some photos showing the original bridge (I added a jack plug for a music project)

I did make an attempt ages ago to refinish the bass myself so it looks pretty good but I know this won't be as good as a pro finish

I have a fretted and a fretless Wilkes and can confirm that they both came fitted with the Schaller 3D bridge, the pole pieces don't line up on either of them. From what i remember the pickups were Schaller bass buckers.

The fretless needs a refinish on the body because a prior owner has done a poor spray paint job on it and i have often
wondered about taking it to Doug to do the work.

A few years ago i was lucky enough to get a Wilkes 5 string which has a home made brass bridge,
presumably because they were not that common when it was made.

They are great basses.

Edited by only4