Why become a member? ×

Value of an as new '08 Streamer $$ 5

Ashwood1985

Hey guys,

Late last year I purchased a mint condition 2008 Warwick Streamer $$ 5. It was pre-owned but, as mentioned, in perfect condition. I did purchase the bass through a store so obviously there would be a slight mark up expected as they were selling on behalf of the owner. But here's the question.....

I shelled £1250 for it after researching online and only finding them new on a couple of UK supplying sites and the minimum new price was £1500. I LOVED the playability and sound of it the few times I tied it out in store so managed to get the cash together and took is off the shelf.

I actually became savvy with Bass chat about a month or so after and have since seen a couple of examples of $$ 4's up for sale or trade and there value has been somewhat lower. OK the condition standards have not been great and they have no doubt been older but still... :-S

[b]To Clarify: I am [u]NOT[/u] feeling out value towards a Sale in an attempt to bypass any forum sale rules! I love my wick and it is very much my main axe, especially since I installed an OP-3 pre-amp :-D[/b]

But I have a nagging feeling that I paid considerably above the odds for the bass. Plus, any information would of course be useful for any other peaps who are looking to grab an almost new one in good nick.

Any opinions from fellow BCers that have more insight into resale values that could help enlighten me to the wisdom of my choice would be more than welcome!

[attachment=113993:photo 2.JPG]
[attachment=113994:photo 1.JPG]
[attachment=113995:photo 2-1.JPG]

Cheers fellas and fellettes

Ash

Edited by Ashwood1985

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343200151' post='1746768']
You got an as new streamer, nicely set up for a lot less than a new one. Any more questions than that and you'll just get annoyed
[/quote]

This. I think these were anywhere up to £2,000 new. You paid a lot less than that, which I think you can be happy about in "as new" condition, no?

Some times, when chasing the rabbit down this particular hole, Wonderland loses some of it's glamour. The market, on here, for second-hand Warwicks is flat - so you'll see some depressed prices out there. That's only an issue for you if you intended to sell, and only on this forum.

But, if you bought the bass to play well; to play well in your hands... well, it's irrelevant :)

That's a lovely looking bass. The $$ is a great pup config (I've got a Corvette $$ myself), and the Streamer shape is probably the most popular (and most comfortable) shape that Warwick do.

It's a relatively rare bass, so you would probably have to pay a premium either in money or in the time spent looking for one at a better price. And buying from a shop does mean a higher price (for which you should get better after-sales service if any issues arise). Allowing for that, you may have paid [i]slightly[/i] over the odds, but only slightly. If I saw a mint Streamer $$ in a shop for much less than £1200 I'd consider it a bargain.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1343206131' post='1746889']
This. I think these were anywhere up to £2,000 new. You paid a lot less than that, which I think you can be happy about in "as new" condition, no?

Some times, when chasing the rabbit down this particular hole, Wonderland loses some of it's glamour. The market, on here, for second-hand Warwicks is flat - so you'll see some depressed prices out there. That's only an issue for you if you intended to sell, and only on this forum.

But, if you bought the bass to play well; to play well in your hands... well, it's irrelevant :)
[/quote]

I think also it's very easy to fall into the trap of expensive bass good, cheap bass bad. And the fact that secondhand prices can go very low on these doesn't mean that it's bad at all. My warwick was cheap, and so many times I've sat and thought that x y or z bass must be better cos it costs more, or is more desirable- which is crap cos a good bass is a good bass.
You have a good bass

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1343207164' post='1746911']
My warwick was cheap, and so many times I've sat and thought that x y or z bass must be better cos it costs more, or is more desirable- which is crap cos a good bass is a good bass.
You have a good bass
[/quote]

Exactly - and, to be honest, if you love it, it's very hard to put a price tag on your enjoyment.

A bass is worth what you are willing to pay for it.
Someone may be willing to pay more or pay less for the same bass.

People are picky buggars and some sellers stress when stuff doesn't shift ASAP. I paid £600 for my Sandberg which is a steal! And a few weeks later a similar one didn't sell on eBay with a start bid of £450!

The market is ridiculous right now. People get under cut by people who don't care if they loose quiet a bit of money, and other reduce to the point where it's depressing for owners of similar basses.

Aright Geezers,

Thanks a bunch for the thoughts and opinions. I know that it is a common feeling that people have and if I'm honest; would I still buy the bass? damn straight! What attracted me to the $$ is the genuine variety of PUP tones you can dial in as well as the smooth playability on this particular one.

Thanks for taking the time to bolster the positive feelings I hold about it and somewhat dispel the doubt. Will continue to enjoy with a clear conscience (I just wont let the wife see this thread! - they never understand do they!?)

PS.
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1343200589' post='1746773']
Did you get that from the Bass Merchant?
[/quote]

No. I wasn't going to mention the store in risk of my post being received by anyone as a complaint about a store that I rate and respect very highly but I will for the following reasons: Unlike a fella sitting at home posting his own property for sale on the forums, the store does of course have central london rent and rates, not to mention staffing costs and they provide a service that is a complete one off for central london: a huge collection of absolutely storming basses to get your mits on and try, not to mention a top luthier to work on your purchase if necessary in store, differences that more than justify a mark up on resales! For those who haven't already guessed it, I am of course talking of the bass gallery in camden. I can't recommend the store enough for anyone who is looking for top quality gear and service! When I bought the bass martin threw in a complimentary set up for me which was sweet - It hasn't seen an allen key or a phillips since! :)

Edited by Ashwood1985

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1343235336' post='1747559']
I think its a pretty good price. The latest German made Warwicks are SILLY money.
[/quote]

I agree: I've pinned after a top spec Warwick since my teens and this axe has delivered on my long held expectations. Thanks again for your views guys.

Btw: if anyone is considering replacing their MEC pre with an Aguilar I highly recommend if your finding the treble and bass freq points a bit high. Ive found the op3 has a killer bass end and a very usable and not too harsh top. Overall a more solid sound, and with the switchable mid freq you got tone options galor.