Why become a member? ×

LEFTY JAZZ BASS 1960 FOR 65 000 dollars...what do you think?

rocker19

Hi I`ve just found this on eBay.com.. I understand what is collectors value /I hope I chose proper words English is not my mother tongue/ but THIS price seems to me absurd...
What would you say?

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-ONLY-LEFTY-LEFT-HANDED-1960-FENDER-STACK-KNOB-CUSTOM-COLOR-JAZZ-BASS-ONEARTH-/360472869907?pt=Guitar&hash=item53eddb7c13"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item53eddb7c13[/url]

Jan

Edited by rocker19

Oh, that bass, from Frank Vallie... It pops by every once in a while. It's truly an unique bass (like that 1964 gold-sparkle jazz that pops on ebay every year), but indeed... 65.000 is steep, as you pay for rarity, not for an extremely good bass (which it undoubtedly is)

Edited by MrFingers

Look at the 'board and the fret ends. Wouldn't you expect to see some shrinkage in the 'board edges over the decades? And the rear pup cover is hiding the rear pup: that pup should be partially in view. Maybe the cover holes were drilled to far fwd. Maybe I'm just being cynical and skeptical, which you have to be when considering instruments of such vintage.

It's nice, but $65K?

Of course the seller wants less than 65 000 eBay takes 10%+ there is PayPal fee...I guess the real selling price
would be around 55 000 if you collect personally.If I wanted to buy this I would pay air ticket and come to seller`s house.
But I think the bass will not be sold for this absurd price.

Edited by rocker19

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1343202879' post='1746819']
Look at the 'board and the fret ends. Wouldn't you expect to see some shrinkage in the 'board edges over the decades? And the rear pup cover is hiding the rear pup: that pup should be partially in view. Maybe the cover holes were drilled to far fwd. Maybe I'm just being cynical and skeptical, which you have to be when considering instruments of such vintage.

It's nice, but $65K?
[/quote]

I'm not sure the board would shrink much but on well played basses you often see some wear on the fingerboard edges. But if it's always been played by someone with good technique ie thumb in the centre of the neck rather than a baseball grip the edges would probably be OK. Likewise the end of the board gets worn if someones played a lot of slap, but this bass looks to have been spared that indignity ;)

[quote name='paulmcnamara' timestamp='1343288498' post='1748229']
Makes Nash basses look like a bargain?
[/quote]

Well, yes. But a huge portion of the price is because of the instruments collectability and history. You could get someone to make you a bass that looked, played, and sounded just like this one for a fraction of the price. But thats not really the point.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1343289854' post='1748247']
Well, yes. But a huge portion of the price is because of the instruments collectability and history. You could get someone to make you a bass that looked, played, and sounded just like this one for a fraction of the price. But thats not really the point.
[/quote]

My point was, if a little obscure, that both of the aforementioned basses, might be overpriced, regardless of pedigree. And, I would add, that there will always be people willing to pay out for these items.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1343422525' post='1750714']
Damn...I was hovering over the Buy it Now button until I realised it had a rosewood fretboard..
[/quote]

You could probably get someone to put a maple board on it for a few hundred quid.