Why become a member? ×

New amp day :D

aldude

Something has arrived in my dingy garage as of about half an hour ago! It's one of these,

[attachment=113862:IMG_1190.JPG]

Mated to some of these,

[attachment=113863:IMG_1191.JPG]

A close up of the head... :)

[attachment=113864:IMG_1192.JPG]

... and the whole stack!

[attachment=113865:IMG_1198.JPG]

First impressions: wow! Nice sound, straight out of the box. You can EQ in some huge variety of sounds there but flat it sounds pretty good anyway with a passive Shuker jazz. More impressions later after some more playing!

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1343041440' post='1744058']
That is an epic rig! How do you run both at the same time? Is it something to do with the max series channels?
[/quote]

The MAX series have 2 channels but only one power amp so they can only drive a (minimum) 4 ohm load. The 12 amps (this 12.2, and the old 12.0) have dual power amps each of which can drive a 4 ohm load, so you can have more and/or lower resistance speakers. They have separate outputs. So, one power amp drives the 8 ohm compact and the other drives the 4 ohm S12T for a sound of DOOM!

Edited by aldude

I set the gain stages to sensible levels, about 50%, then knocked up the master volume up to about 1/3 for a laff... shook the windows! And that's only 1/3!

It's not about volume though, it's about headroom in the right places. My last amp didn't have enough oomph for HUGE LOWS so I'm guessing this one does ;)

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1343033099' post='1743898']
Something has arrived in my dingy garage as of about half an hour ago! It's one of these,

[/quote]

yes...

Mated to some of these,

[/quote]

...yes

A close up of the head... :)

[/quote]

...YES

... and the whole stack!

[/quote]

OH GOD YES!

Beautiful setup you have. I bet it sounds HIDEOUS

Edited by Duarte

Pete - the 6.0/6.2 Max will give you a 600W single amp with two channels - Pure FET, Pure TUBE, or a blend. The blend really works well.

The 12.0/12.2 Max will give you 600W x 2 (2 poweramps) with two channels (both poweramps have the same pre I assume) - Again, Pure FET, Pure TUBE, or a blend.

The 9.2 Max will give you a 900W single amp into two channels - Again, Pure FET, Pure TUBE, or a blend.

These amps get overlooked because of their size, but they are ridiculously light and well made. I had a 9.0 Shuttle a while back and I much prefer the fact I can do almost anything with the 9.2 Max. Plus the three filters are adjustable, and you get two mid controls with a freq. knob for each.

Recently I've been looking at amps, as I tend to have an addiction to them, and then I play the Max 9.2 and realise there isn't much more I can ask for. Stunning flexibility and power in a lightweight, well made amp with a quality service behind it from Genz.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343065556' post='1744682']
I'm thinking I might want one once the funds have built up a bit, shame no one wants to sell them secondhand! I guess I would be better off with one of the 900 watt versions just because I already have the 3 and 6 in single channel variants?
[/quote]

I would. The 12.2 would be nice if you wanted to run more speakers, but if its the normal 2x8 or 1x4 (ohms) then the 9.2 is the one.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1343059998' post='1744537']
Im loving that! What do you think of the FET channel on its own? I have a 3.0 and a 6.0 and I think I prefer the sound of the FET only 3.0 over the valve 6.0, I would have a 600watt FET if they did one but what you have (or the older 12 max) would basically give me just that. Hhmmm....:)
[/quote]

They definitely have their own sound. I like both of them to be honest. The tube channel is nice and warm but the FET channel is clean, so wonderfully clean, and seems a bit more pronounced in the upper mids.

The amp itself is largeish, bigger than my old RH450 but certainly much smaller than the Trace head I got rid of ages ago (mostly due to its size and weight!) The Genz is very light. Looking through the fan vents, there seems to be a lot of room in there, so I guess it could have been smaller, though that would make fitting all the controls on the front a bit of a squeeze.

There is constant fan noise, about the same as an idling Xbox, so noticeable in the quiet if you're up close but totally absent even at fairly quiet practise volumes.

So far, I'm loving this head!

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1343071000' post='1744834']
They definitely have their own sound. I like both of them to be honest. The tube channel is nice and warm but the FET channel is clean, so wonderfully clean, and seems a bit more pronounced in the upper mids.

The amp itself is largeish, bigger than my old RH450 but certainly much smaller than the Trace head I got rid of ages ago (mostly due to its size and weight!) The Genz is very light. Looking through the fan vents, there seems to be a lot of room in there, so I guess it could have been smaller, though that would make fitting all the controls on the front a bit of a squeeze.

There is [b]c[b]onstant fan noise[/b],[/b] about the same as an idling Xbox, so noticeable in the quiet if you're up close but totally absent even at fairly quiet practise volumes.

So far, I'm loving this head!
[/quote]

Everyone goes on about Streamliners as if trying to be a valve amp is the only point of having an amp at all yet the shuttle type preamp is a great sound anyway plus the FET channel stolen from the lowly 3.0 is great too, A new version 18.2 with all 3 pre amps (streamliner,shuttle and FET) into 2 900watt outputs would be super cool! :)

It was because of the fan noise I decided to get the 3.0 for home practice and as a backup head for weddings etc