Why become a member? ×

UPRIGHT/ ELECTRIC AMP

retroroach

Choices include, for a separate head, the Euphonic Audio Doubler or the Acoustic Image Clarus. Both have lots of fans. Acoustic Image also wrap their head into combos (1x10 or 2x10) but they are pretty pricey (£1k+ new). I know people also use Genz Shuttle combos or Phil Jones combos. I am sure more will come along with their experiences. FWIW, I use an Acoustic Image Ten2 combo which has amazing clarity for a DB and sounds good (if very clean) with electric

I just use my standard bass stack - Ashdown ABM and barefaced super twelve with a boss line switch to change between the two instruments, set the amp up for the DB then add an eq pedal in for my EB (when I can be bothered..depends on how many numbers I'm doing on EB)

I use an Acoutic Image Clarus head with PJB cabs for both DB and electric and am very chuffed with that set-up. The AI heads/combos are some of the lightest around (I presume you meant light as in 'low weight', rather than to illuminate the front panel :) ). Acoustic Image gear is expensive but sometimes secondhand items appear on BC. If you're going to be using it for a long time it's worth it IMO.

I use a Genz Benz Shuttle 210 with a Tonebone Bassbone. shuttle is set pretty flat, EB into channel 1 of the shuttle and DB or EUB into channel 2 which has a v powerful EQ. Match channel volumes and youre away. It also has a very good DI as does the shuttle.

EA Doubler and Barefaced Midget here. Tiny, two channels, switchable/mixable. All the gubbins for DB on channel 2 (phase shifting, balanced in, notch filter). Usefully, the mid eq range is different on each channel, ch2 optimised for db. The electric sounds great though either channel.

It's a very transparent sound, and at first I thought it would be too clean for the electric, but in fact not at all. Anyhow, nothing that a valve pedal couldn't sort.

The Midget is awesome for both electric and db.

Edited by fatback

• 2 months later...

Acoustic image works well for me, for BG, upright bass and keyboards. I have the 2-channel combo and a ten2 extension which I use with it for anything bigger than rehearsal or small venue. It's also a nice jazz/acoustic guitar amp so ticks lots of boxes despite the initial cost. I've put sax and vocals through it too using a small mixer. What it doesn't do well is rock bass ;) but it will handle a low b with the extension cab. Before I bought the ten2ex I used it with an EA 210 cab which also worked well but is larger.

I think it all depends on what kind of band(s) you play in, what kind of music and the volume level you need. After trying Bose L1 and ToneMatch mixer plus Phil Jones Suitcase, I have stuck with these after trying lots of other combinations. Still looking.....

I use a Mesa Walkabout 12 for both, great flexible eq to dial in the DB and the plank.

Have you seen the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/187263-acoustic-image-contra-ii-bassdouble-bass-combo-with-extension-cab-and-original-coverscables-l500/page__view__findpost__p__1809289"]AI setup[/url] the Beedster is selling. Very very good price for that.

I gig regularly on both DB & EB with a Carvin MB12. I don't know the availability of such a combo in the UK. When I need the extra 1/2 octave extension downwards, I stack it on a 1X15 ported cab. Great value for money. Great tone. Flexible, and has all the accessories (line out, separate tuner out, shelving & parametric, compression, etc.) that a modern combo should have.