Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Fatties - an equivalent?

Huge Hands

Did anyone used to use "Ashdown Fatties" strings?

I tried some on my Cort C5 a few years ago and liked them so much, I bought a few tins of them.

I noticed about 6 months ago that Ashdown weren't selling them anymore. I rang them up and tried to coax the guy I spoke to into telling me who made them for Ashdown, as I was assuming someone like Rotosound were making them and they were sticking them in a tin with their label. However, he was adamant that they had been exclusive to Ashdown, but admitted weren't doing them anymore.

I am hopeless at changing strings, due to laziness, lack of cash and trying to pretend that it's because of my Jamerson idolisation and his theory that the "dirt keeps the funk", but my last set are starting to feel pretty tired.

Can anyone recommend another make that are similar tone and feel? I have been toying with the idea of getting a set of Labella flats to try, but wanted a good roundwound set to fall back on if I didn't like them, as well as the fact that Labella flats appear to be like rocking horse s**t to get here in the UK.

P.S. In case bass_ferret gets angry at me, I did search the archives first, but came up with nothing :)

Edited by Huge Hands

MB1. :)
Was using the 35/95 thins Twiggys i think theyre called, on my aria Sound Control is your only hope for the last of the Ashdown Strings now.Or you may want to get in touch with Rotosound and speak to Jason as he might know who made the strings for Ashdown. :huh:

I used these once when the shop didn't have any of my preferred strings in. Didn't LOVE them but they were fairly cheap. I am trying really hard to remember who makes them. I did find out back then but it was a while ago now. Good idea RE contacting rotosound.

FWIW they felt just like Elites, and actually may have been made by them...

Cheers
ped