Why become a member? ×

combo V head/cab

highwayone

Depends on many things. For me, I prefer a head & 410 cab, as usually, a 410 combo is beyond my lifting ability. Or, if not, the size may be too big for the load-space in my car. Plus, I`m not too fussed about leaving a speaker cab in the car overnight after a gig, whereas I`d want to get the amp indoors.

That said, I look at the other bassist in one of my bands (yes, we have 2 bassists) with his combo, and how quick it is to set up - as in, plug it into the wall, plug in the bass, go, and think I`d like that convenience.

IMO you need a 15" bin to shift air for the deep grunty stuff and a 2 x 10" to define the upper mids and the leading edges. Build those into a combo with an amplifier and you've got more than I could be bothered to shift in one go. Plus the least wagon you'd need to move it is an estate car.

My vote is for a separate amp & cab set up.
I like a 410 cab sound , it is lighter to have a separate amp.

It means you can up grade either the amp or cab whenever you fancy it and also if the amp packs up you can just swap the amp over.

Having a separate rig means that you have more items to move but I feel it can be lighter and Easier to move .

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1342600954' post='1737501']
IMO you need a 15" bin to shift air for the deep grunty stuff and a 2 x 10" to define the upper mids and the leading edges. Build those into a combo with an amplifier and you've got more than I could be bothered to shift in one go. Plus the least wagon you'd need to move it is an estate car.
[/quote]

Exactly what I think. Add in the possibility to upgrade bits when wanted or needed.