Why become a member? ×

6 String players, shed some light !

BassMan94

Hey guys,

In anticipation of my 6 string I've started to concentrate on my muting technique. Playing a 5 at the moment I've tried using different muting techniques to stop the other strings ringing. What I've searched is that some people use there ring and pinky to mute strings and then you've got others who use the floating thumb.

I tried using my ring and pinky but it seems so strange to me, it's like my hand positioning feels out of 'place', and I'm not a fan of the floating thumb. I need something to rest on :lol:

What Im asking is what techniques do you guys use, specifically for 5,6 strings ? Any other advice would be great

Cheers

If you can't get on with floating thumb, try this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzRqeS0ruQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzRqeS0ruQ[/url]

This is pretty much the technique I've used in the last 15 years playing a 5 string. It'll probably be the case that you can use this on a 6 as Adam Nitti does here.

A few players use hair scrunchies and stuff but I find it interferes with open notes.

I always rest my thumb one or two strings below what I'm playing which effectively mutes all the low strings... With my fretting hand just about touching every string above. It definitely does a good enough job for me!

You may come to a different solution yourself, and im sure others will suggest ways better or easier than mine! :)

I find it's something that comes naturally with practicing in my experience, and is less trouble than it might appear to be at first.... My issue was hitting the wrong string a lot when I first made the switch!

Hope your shiny new 6er arrives soon so you can start having fun with all the new options available to you :D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1342208019' post='1731842']
A few players use hair scrunchies and stuff but I find it interferes with open notes.

I always rest my thumb one or two strings below what I'm playing which effectively mutes all the low strings... With my fretting hand just about touching every string above. It definitely does a good enough job for me!

You may come to a different solution yourself, and im sure others will suggest ways better or easier than mine! :)

I find it's something that comes naturally with practicing in my experience, and is less trouble than it might appear to be at first.... My issue was hitting the wrong string a lot when I first made the switch!

Hope your shiny new 6er arrives soon so you can start having fun with all the new options available to you :D
[/quote]

I can't wait myself for the new 6er ! :D

I honestly never knew why they used those hair scrunchies untill now :unsure:

Is it me or is that a 'shortcut' to make sure the others don't ring ?

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1342207734' post='1731836']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzRqeS0ruQ[/media]

This is pretty much the technique I've used in the last 15 years playing a 5 string. It'll probably be the case that you can use this on a 6 as Adam Nitti does here.
[/quote]

Thanks that's great, very informative :)

[quote name='BassMan94' timestamp='1342208813' post='1731864']
I can't wait myself for the new 6er ! :D

I honestly never knew why they used those hair scrunchies untill now :unsure:

Is it me or is that a 'shortcut' to make sure the others don't ring ?
[/quote]i personally think the scrunchie is a bit of a cheat.. its not hard to keep every string muted on a 6 string. but its hard if you have fallen into bad habits.... the combination of both hands should be used to keep everthing under control... imo

I mute with my fretting hand, the same technique I use with 4 and 5 strings. I bought my first 6er after only playing for about a year though and then played it for about 7 years as my main instrument so I think I kinda learned how to mute properly at the same time as learning to play anyway so it was more natural.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1342279729' post='1732747']
I play with an anchored right hand and use my left hand for muting, just as I would on a 4 string. Which notes are you worried about? Fretted notes or strings/notes hit by accident?
[/quote]

I haven't got specific notes its just I want the cleanest sound I can get whilst playing tunes like 'the chicken', you know ? 4 string bass I didnt find it all difficult as i would normally rest my thumb ln the E or A depending on the passage. The 5 is not that bad but technique wise I could be better, it's just preperation for the 6.

Even I use the left hand to dampen the strings as well, but using both hands would be the most effective, wouldnt it?

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1342207734' post='1731836']

*YOU TUBE CLIP HERE!*

[/quote]

wow that's my technique too! I do it as a lefty playing right-handed I didn't have the control, I push the fingers into the thumb as well but thats my technique- good to see I'm not an utter idiot. I do it on 4 strings mind!

Muting was the first and most important big thing on a six-string for me as well rather getting the high C involved in my playing.

Adam Nitti´s introduced technique is part of mine as well. The floating thumb is one of different keys for a good muting.
In addition to that I´ll support my plucking hand by muting with my fretting hand as well where it´s necessary. It´s mostly the pinkie and ring finger.

So if you get into slapping the muting looks different. It´s depending on which height your bass is located on your body.
Mine rests somewhere in the area between my hip and chest. Therefore I can lay my underarm on the B and E string gently and mute them while thumpin´ and pluckin´. Also here my fretting hand will support the string-muting for example with left palm-hand-muting.

For further fingerplaying it is useful to watch John Patitucci technique too. This is a bit advanced. He used to anchore his pinkie and ring finger of the plucking hand on the B (pinkie) and E string (ring finger) plus his floating thumb for the next strings. He uses the pinkie and the ring finger as a pivot when moving to the higher strings like D, G, and C.

I tried this out and find it became a quiet naturally approach too. Sometimes I used this pivot beginning resting on the E-string and so on. So I apply a different mix of muting techniques in order to what sound I want to get out of my six-string.

And I´m still practising and exploring, it´s never over. :)

For pick-style muting watch Anthony Jackson what he does when it cames to him he has to play with a pick on a 6-string. It´s much easier, because you can apply the palm-muting of the plucking-hand.