Why become a member? ×

right hand finger tip pain

lowdowner

Hi folks

Just a request for a little advice from some who may be older and wiser than me :)

I've been playing bass for about 10 months now (since jumping ship from classical!) and due to increasing amounts of obsession and 'can't get enough of that fat string funkiness' i've been playing my bass more and more every day. Over the last week or so I've had a slightly painful, burning, pain in my right hand index and middle fingers - just where I'm stroking my strings...

It feels like a friction burn...

Is this common, and will it pass. Should I stop playing for a while (as if!)?

Am I being a wuss and should just keep playing until my fingers 'man up'?

Advice welcome..

david

This will go with time I should imagine. Obviously the callouses on your fingers will still be developing as a relatively new player so it will be some time before they are thick enough. The nerve endings in your fingers will soon learn to deal with what you're doing to them.

I think it's just the skin - it really does seem like friction burns (or even mild heat burns, you know, when you touch a hotplate for an instant by mistake). Just surface...

I suppose I have to suffer for my art - it was never like this with plinky-plonky classical guitar that's for sure.

Yep discreet beat me to it. Surgical spirit works wonders. If I havent played for a few days I brush a few layers of Loctite on my fingertips before a gig to stop the skin breaking. Works well for me and I dig in heavily.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1342205551' post='1731780']
Yep discreet beat me to it. Surgical spirit works wonders. If I havent played for a few days I brush a few layers of Loctite on my fingertips before a gig to stop the skin breaking. Works well for me and I dig in heavily.
[/quote]

My uncle told me about this trick, apparently it's a good method if you gash your finger open before a gig! Tried it myself but I found my fingers didn't 'stick' to the strings as much as im used to!