Why become a member? ×

Looking for an amp, preferably 4x10. Read inside if you can help or advise me :)

Zak Tozer

I'm looking for an amp, preferably cabinet + head.
I have around £300 at the moment but could maybe stretch to £500 with some space to save.
I am in a band and we have played in pubs and our first festival last weekend. We have quite a diverse sound, e.g. we play alternative rock, funk, reggae and heavy stuff too. So I need an all around amp really. Something for full bassyness on the heavier songs and punchy for some others as I do enjoy a bit of slap.
I'm quite set on a 4x10 to be honest and I'd prefer a cab and head unit really but if there was a decent enough combo I guess I'd go with it.
I need a few hundred watts but nothing ridiculously huge cos that'll probably be way out of my budget xD

Would appreciate anyone who knows what you're talking about's help into finding me some good deals. Not in a massive rush :)

Thank you very much,
Zak

Hi Zak,

I paid 300 pounds recently here for an Ashdown rig consisting of a ABM500 evo II head and a ABM410T cab (both made in the UK). So deals can be found :) I am aware that they (deals) aren't always as good as that one, but I'm pretty sure there is a ABM combo with 410 speakers for sale now here. Some people dislike Ashdown, I do like its sound and versatility. It can go from very clean to very grindy, usually sounds quite warm, but kinda fast and punchy. That is my recommendation then :)
Older Trace Elliot amps and cabs go quite cheap too, should be possible to complete a rig within your budget.
Few days ago there was a fun little rig here (older black Hartke 3500 with ABM4x8 cab) for something like 160 quid.
Look around :)

Another shout for Ashdown. Picked up their cheaper MAG series 300W 4x10 combo for £200 and was very pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Imagine the head/cab version is the same sonically. The people at Ashdown came from Trace Elliot apparently.

For the budget quoted, you should easily be able to pick up either a Hartke or Ashdown amp head & 410 cab. Amp-wise, I`d try not to go under 300 watts, as on bigger stages, whilst you may be going through FOH PA, whether or not you get enough via the monitors is a different matter, and having 300 watts should be plenty for on-stage monitoring.

Why a 4x10?

My opinion is that the 4x10 is a poorly designed cab for the pub gig or any gig that you're relying on it for the band/audience to hear you properly.

I'd have a read on some of the other topics in this section about cabs & then decide if you want the 4x10.

Here's a couple to get you started...

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176362-bass-rigs-the-bigger-the-better-in-my-experience/

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180123-2x12-vs-4x10/

I'd save up a bit extra & get a decent amp/cab or combo (really depends on what you want, I opted for combo for quickness & portability).

There's nothing wrong with 4x10s, it's an enthusiast thing to get too buried in meaningless facts with that kind of stuff. They've been used by pro bands for decades, they might not be perfect but there's certainly nothing wrong with them (in general).

I don't like Ashdown, but for that price Ashdown do usable giggng rigs. I've not used Hartke, but they tend to get good reviews. Other things you could look at it older hevier gear 2nd hand. I'm sure you could find a Trace for that price and a Peavey would likey leave you with change.

Thanks very much guys that's great :)
Yeah I have looked into Ashdowns and I sadly missed out on a really good deal for £300. I have also found a nice Trace Elliot, ah sh*t no I haven't... Just checked and it's been sold D: haha.
I'll keep on looking but yeah keep the advice coming, I really appreciate it :)
I'll check out the Peavey's too :)

Here is probably best to get anything bass related, though of course evilbay can be of use.

A good place to get user reviews of amps is www.harmonycentral.com. From there, you can get a good idea of the whether or not you want to buy the amp/cab. I`ve found this site very helpful over the years.

Edited by Lozz196