Why become a member? ×

My Shuker build

Ant

Just got my first build picture from Jon last night, so i thought i'd start a build thread.

here are the specs:

4 string custom bass

maple neck,
fender headstock shape
headstock painted to match body colour

two way truss rod
carbon fibre reinforcement
rosewood board
Mother of Pearl block markers
white binding on f/board
black side dots
Gotoh tuners (vintage reverse)
satin finish on neck
medium fretwire

Geddy Lee neck dimensions
bone nut

swamp ash body wood
body shape based on Ibanez jetking II guitar

polyester basecoat
black wet look gloss topcoat
tortoiseshell s/plate

2x darkstar pickups (jazz positioning)
single external master volume
internal trimpots for each pickup (tone and pickup mix)

chrome hardware
badass II bridge

[quote name='simon1964' post='185078' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:27 AM']Nice - black / tort will look fantastic on that body shape. Looking forward to seeing pics![/quote]

Yeah, should look something like this:

i can't wait - i love the look of it.

[quote name='Ant' post='187068' date='Apr 28 2008, 11:18 AM']Yeah, should look something like this:

i can't wait - i love the look of it.[/quote]

That's gonna look so damned cool mate!
Can't wait to see the finished article!

Cheers,
Eude

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Ant' post='207527' date='May 27 2008, 08:08 PM']a quick update, i'll be getting a light sensitive oscillator synth jobby built into the body of my bass, with controls on the lower horn.[/quote]

That sounds well cool.
Excuse my ignorance, but what will it actually do? :)

On a side note, I've totally fallen in love with the shape you're going for, got a sweet idea for a short scale bass based on it, next year though, next year....

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='eude' post='207586' date='May 27 2008, 09:13 PM']On a side note, I've totally fallen in love with the shape you're going for, got a sweet idea for a short scale bass based on it, next year though, next year....

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

Another one! :), the GAS has got you good my friend

[quote name='eude' post='207586' date='May 27 2008, 09:13 PM']That sounds well cool.
Excuse my ignorance, but what will it actually do? :)

On a side note, I've totally fallen in love with the shape you're going for, got a sweet idea for a short scale bass based on it, next year though, next year....

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

When i hold down the button, it'll output noise - it has photoresistors attached and the brighter the light that shines into them; the higher the pitch.

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='207590' date='May 27 2008, 09:17 PM']Another one! :huh:, the GAS has got you good my friend[/quote]

It'll have to wait till I've sorted the fretless out first, 33", 6 string in that new shape I mocked up.
Then it'll be time for the short scale :)

Yes I think I have a problem...

Eude

[quote name='Ant' post='207593' date='May 27 2008, 09:21 PM']When i hold down the button, it'll output noise - it has photoresistors attached and the brighter the light that shines into them; the higher the pitch.[/quote]

Excellent, that sounds cool!

Eude

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Ant' post='207593' date='May 27 2008, 08:21 PM']When i hold down the button, it'll output noise - it has photoresistors attached and the brighter the light that shines into them; the higher the pitch.[/quote]
bad idea on stages. would be better just controlling it with a knob also oscillators tend to have alot of problems with signal bleed.

[quote name='Toasted' post='735895' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:32 AM']I believe Ant is expecting his bass in a couple of weeks. It seems those that shout loudest at Shuker get their basses finished first.[/quote]
23+ months. That is epic! By that calculation I can expect mine to be finished by Christmas.

[quote name='peted' post='735906' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:50 AM']23+ months. That is epic! By that calculation I can expect mine to be finished by Christmas.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd be pretty miffed by now to be honest, unless I'd been struggling to get together the balance on the bass.
Bare in mind, Fodera's average build time is about 2 years...

I ended up pushing pretty hard with my Pub Bass to get it in a little under 12 months.
I guess with Jon being so genuinely good natured and helpful means that he'll end up giving in a little if someone won't leave him alone, which will obviously impact on those who leave him to it. :)

Regardless of all that though, I'm sure Ant's bass will be fantastic and well worth the wait! :rolleyes:

Eude

[quote name='Toasted' post='735929' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:08 AM']If I'm not mistaken Ant's been fully paid up for over a year :).[/quote]

Sorry, that wasn't speculation on Ant's situation, just based on my own lack of financial sense.
I can't save, I'm just not built for it... :rolleyes:

Eude

[quote name='Bassmonster' post='735941' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:17 AM']have to agree with Eude here, my 2nd shuker took around 18 months to complete, and i did towards the end get a bit miffed, to Jon's credit he recognised this and knocked a bit off the final balance[/quote]

See?
Told you Jon's a diamond geezer :)
Custom basses take as long as they take, I 'spose we should remember that from time to time.

Eude

I'm not miffed in the slightest. As I've said before a long build makes it so much easier to pay the balance in instalments. Given that the price of the bass is fixed at the start of the build, Jon's hourly rate must be about 0.001p per hour :) :rolleyes: :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

oh yeah it did, didnt end up with darkstars in the end, loads of problems with the darkstar guy dragged things out forever, got some awesome j pups in it instead, not even sure what they are but they're awesome!, im swapping the pup covers to vintage cream and ill get some shots up,

since we already had a body routed for the darkstars ive given jon my jazz bass neck to make a sister bass to this with the pickups from my peavey T40 in.

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1318069384' post='1397759']
oh yeah it did, didnt end up with darkstars in the end, loads of problems with the darkstar guy dragged things out forever, got some awesome j pups in it instead, not even sure what they are but they're awesome!, im swapping the pup covers to vintage cream and ill get some shots up,

since we already had a body routed for the darkstars ive given jon my jazz bass neck to make a sister bass to this with the pickups from my peavey T40 in.
[/quote]

Awesome mate!
Can't wait to see the pics :)

Eude

• 2 weeks later...